Author Topic: SASM - new NASM Assembler IDE  (Read 32767 times)

Offline Dman95

SASM - new NASM Assembler IDE
« on: March 10, 2014, 12:09:12 AM »
Hi, everyone!
Instead posting messages in other topics I decided to open new topic about my program - SASM.
SASM is a simple Open Source cross-platform IDE for NASM assembly language with syntax highlighting and debugger.
SASM makes it easy to develop and run programs written in NASM.
Licensed under the GNU GPL v3.0. Based on the Qt.

The program works out of the box and is great for beginners to learn assembly language.
SASM will work on Windows and Linux.

The program website: http://dman95.github.io/SASM/english.html
GitHub repository: https://github.com/Dman95/SASM

I welcome your comments and suggestions!

Offline encryptor256

• Win64 .
    • On Youtube: encryptor256
Re: SASM - new NASM Assembler IDE
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 04:15:17 AM »
Cool, so far so good.

How can i build and debug 64 bit windows application?
Encryptor256's Investigation \ Research Department.

Offline Bryant Keller

• Forum Moderator
    • About Bryant Keller
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 05:35:50 AM »
Cool, so far so good.

Given that he uses MinGW internally, I don't see any reason you couldn't just install the MinGW64 variant if you need Win64 instead of Win32. You might need to do some minor tweaking to the build commands for NASM in the IDE, but in theory it should work.

About Bryant Keller
bkeller@about.me

Offline encryptor256

• Win64 .
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 06:14:39 AM »
Cool, so far so good.

Given that he uses MinGW internally, I don't see any reason you couldn't just install the MinGW64 variant if you need Win64 instead of Win32. You might need to do some minor tweaking to the build commands for NASM in the IDE, but in theory it should work.

Yes, i agree, but it's not a solution for me.
His "almost built in" macros "io.inc", they are for 32 bit.
Well, i think, the goal is important - why and for what developer built it and stay with it.
If he built it for 32 bit, then so be it, im not going to mess with it. :)

If there is no x64 support, fine,
it's not a big deal, i can notepad my x64 thingy further and debug with "Ancient Message Box Methodology". :D

You might need to do some minor tweaking to the build commands for NASM in the IDE, but in theory it should work.
Not so easy, man!
Then you have to reprogram everything to monitor, while debugging, all x64 registers, + extended registers - i mean those SSE... too.
Who knows, maybe there is a different story behind x64 debugger too.

So, let's stick with developer idea, if developer built it for 32 bit, then it's for 32 bit only, fine! :)

Offline Rob Neff

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 05:01:24 PM »

Yes, i agree, but it's not a solution for me.
His "almost built in" macros "io.inc", they are for 32 bit.
Well, i think, the goal is important - why and for what developer built it and stay with it.
If he built it for 32 bit, then so be it, im not going to mess with it. :)

If there is no x64 support, fine,
it's not a big deal, i can notepad my x64 thingy further and debug with "Ancient Message Box Methodology". :D

Or.....you could join him ( if he's willing to take on devs ) and help provide the x64 support needed for the benefit of us all,
Or.....you can fork it ( if he's not ) and extend it for the benefit of us all,
Or..... you can continue using "Ancient Message Box Methodology" to which no one benefits from.

;D

Offline Dman95

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »
Or.....you could join him ( if he's willing to take on devs ) and help provide the x64 support needed for the benefit of us all,
Or..... you can continue using "Ancient Message Box Methodology" to which no one benefits from.
 ;D

You are absolutely right. If someone wants to join SASM development, it is always possible to do. Simply write me email (Dman1095@gmail.com) or leave post here.
Regarding x64 feature, possibly I will try to make it.

Offline Rob Neff

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »
encryptor256 needs something to do since the NASMX bugs he's reported have been squashed!  ;D
I personally have need for a stable, fast, cross-platform IDE that supports 32/64-bit Linux/BSD/Windows Nasm assembly and debugging ( gas support would be a bonus! ).
I currently don't have the free-time to commit to development but I'm willing to help participate and do some testing.

Offline encryptor256

• Win64 .
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 06:28:56 AM »
Main Campfire Story: "Stay original as possible"

Developer is a some sort of artist, let's say like Leonardo da Vinci.
So, i go into his art gallery and i'm looking at the painting on the wall, where is visualized bridge and trees.
So, i say him, let's extend this bridge wider, it need's to be wider.
He says: Sure, take a brush, choose a color and start doing "the bridge extension".
So, when next individual goes into his art gallery... might end up with painting that's ruining his original idea even more.
So, at the end, there is nothing left original on that painting, all idea of Leonardo da Vinci is ruined by some individuals.

Extended variation of main story:
* Let's say that bridge was vertically painted.
* Artist: You need wider bridge?
* Let's stretch that painting side ways. :D

Campfire Story Analysis:

A. So, in this thread, the artist can be considered as Dman95.

B. I am considered to be as an individual, by saying:
Cool, so far so good.

Quoted sentence is nearly equals to: "How do you think, shouldn't that bridge, be wider?"
By saying that "i'm spreading oil a bit".

C. Bryant Keller is considered to be as an individual, by saying:

Quoted sentence is nearly equals to: "Yes, the bridge should be wider, you can do that by doing something like that."
By saying that, "spreads the oil" even more.
So, Rob Neff, put's the fire on all the oil, that has been spread:

D. Rob Neff is considered to be as an individual and put's the pressure on the artist, by saying:
 ;D

First quoted sentence is nearly equals to: "Tell artist that bridge need to be wider and watch his reaction, what he will say?".
Second quoted sentence is nearly equals to: "Take his painting, brush, colors, start altering it".
Third quoted sentence is not even necessary, because:

E. Artist Dman95 gives up his idea, by saying:
You are absolutely right. If someone wants to join SASM development, it is always possible to do. Simply write me email (Dman1095@gmail.com) or leave post here.
Regarding x64 feature, possibly I will try to make it.

Quoted sentence is nearly equals to: "Okay, let's do it, if anyone has brush and right colors let's do it".

End of story.

Morale of the story, sent with Ancient Message Box to Artist:
Hey Artist!
You started, you finish it!!! You, in your own-original way!!!. :D
There is a crowd gathering outside of your art gallery.

Crowd, olddays: "We! want!! wider bridge!!!, we! want!! wider bridge!!!, we! want!! wider bridge!!!". :D
Crowd, nowdays: "We! want!! x64!!!, we! want!! x64!!!, we! want!! x64!!!". :D

Bye,
Encryptor256!

Offline encryptor256

• Win64 .
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 06:02:37 AM »

I think, there is a need to specify, that, this IDE is supposed to be used by 32 bit environment (Just for clarification).
So, x64, is fully not supported,
it doesn't even highlight x64 registers like rax, rbp.
For 32 bit users - is it even possible to debug 16 bit com application? - who knows. :D

I somewhere heard that 32 bit systems are not on the production line anymore, well, but at least we have 32 bit IDE.  :)

Offline Bryant Keller

• Forum Moderator
    • About Bryant Keller
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 09:16:38 PM »
I somewhere heard that 32 bit systems are not on the production line anymore, well, but at least we have 32 bit IDE.  :)

That's not true at all. The entire Atom Z2x series and the Quark X1 (and all expected future Quark processors) run the 32-bit ISA. Intel's vision for the 32-bit ISA is for embedded development, as seen with the Intel Galileo and the Intel Edison development boards. The Edison was just released last month, so they are definitely still making them. :P

About Bryant Keller
bkeller@about.me

Offline encryptor256

• Win64 .
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 05:09:53 AM »

That's not true at all. The entire Atom Z2x series and the Quark X1 (and all expected future Quark processors) run the 32-bit ISA. Intel's vision for the 32-bit ISA is for embedded development, as seen with the Intel Galileo and the Intel Edison development boards. The Edison was just released last month, so they are definitely still making them. :P

That's nice to hear, that, 32 bit thingy is not dead, yet.  :)

Discover the IntelĀ® Edison development board, a tiny, ultra-power-efficient development platform the size of an SD* card that is small enough to drop into just about anything.

It would be fun, if we could stick that board into usb port and use it for custom built software. :D
Just like that OpenCL thingy, or NVIDIA software - they give access to hardware, to run some calculations on it.

Quark X1
Sounds like some new specie, you know, just like duck says - quack quack, then some other specie says, from the other side of the lake - quark quark. :D

Offline Dman95

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 12:45:03 AM »

I think, there is a need to specify, that, this IDE is supposed to be used by 32 bit environment (Just for clarification).
So, x64, is fully not supported,
it doesn't even highlight x64 registers like rax, rbp.
For 32 bit users - is it even possible to debug 16 bit com application? - who knows. :D

I added x64 feature in the SASM and made ability to select mode (x64 or x86). Added tools for compilation and debugging 64-bit code. 64-bit instructions, registers and NASM macro highlighting was implemented. "io.inc" library also adapted for using in 64-bit applications.
New version of SASM (2.3) see on site: http://dman95.github.io/SASM/english.html

Offline mk8

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »
Is configuration file missing? README says ./configure && make && make install, but I can't find anywhere a configuration file and can't make then.

Offline Dman95

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 06:13:07 PM »
Is configuration file missing? README says ./configure && make && make install, but I can't find anywhere a configuration file and can't make then.
README says qmake && make && make install. See README file from SASM repository to build it from sources. Also you can download already compiled packages for Windows and most popular Linux distributions.

Offline Dman95

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 05:05:02 PM »
SASM have been updated. New version (SASM 3.0) is available.
You can download it from SASM site or see sources on GitHub.

What's new:
  • Support of new assemblers have been added. Now NASM, GAS, MASM and FASM are supported, including syntax highlighting, debugging and x86/x64 architectures. Added ability to choose your own assembler or linker filling path to them.
  • Debugging work have been improved. Pause option in debugger have been added.
  • Folder for include files have been added.
  • Many bugs have been fixed.
Full changelog you can see on program site.