Author Topic: I need help with a project :D  (Read 8674 times)

Offline Yassine

I need help with a project :D
« on: December 22, 2013, 11:23:08 PM »
Well i have a project in nasm due this Wednesday and I don't know how to start :p
The project is that I have to make a program that manages a library system which means that the program should have :
*membership management : -add,modify or delete a member.
                                      - display the list of members in an alphabetical order .
*Books management : -add,modify or delete a book.
                            - display the list of books in an alphabetical order (their titles).
 Any help is appreciated . Thank u in advance :D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 11:31:59 PM by Yassine »

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: I need help with a project :D
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 04:43:28 AM »
Whew. THIS Wednesday? Not a chance.

What OS? I suppose it doesn't matter too much, you'll need similar routines... Simple user I/O... file create, read, write, seek... some sort of "search" routine... some sort of "sort" routine... as a bare minimum. Keep it simple. How much of this can you already do? What's the most advanced asm program you've written? Can you do it in some other language?

I suppose the first thing to do, if you haven't, is to define the contents of your files. Some sort of user-number, first name, last name... maybe an address so you can track 'em down if they don't bring the book back. Title, author (first/last?), who's got it (or is it "on the shelf"?). I guess Dewey Decimal is obsolete, maybe ISBN number? I'd definitely go with fixed record length. It's a PITA to change 'em after the files are created, so try to make 'em long enough to begin with.

Maybe the very first thing to do is to try to get an extension on this. I don't think you've got enough time to do a decent job. Show us what you've got and we'll try to help you when you get stuck. Nobody's going to do it for you!

Best,
Frank

Offline Yassine

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 10:33:46 AM »
Whew. THIS Wednesday? Not a chance.

What OS? I suppose it doesn't matter too much, you'll need similar routines... Simple user I/O... file create, read, write, seek... some sort of "search" routine... some sort of "sort" routine... as a bare minimum. Keep it simple. How much of this can you already do? What's the most advanced asm program you've written? Can you do it in some other language?

I suppose the first thing to do, if you haven't, is to define the contents of your files. Some sort of user-number, first name, last name... maybe an address so you can track 'em down if they don't bring the book back. Title, author (first/last?), who's got it (or is it "on the shelf"?). I guess Dewey Decimal is obsolete, maybe ISBN number? I'd definitely go with fixed record length. It's a PITA to change 'em after the files are created, so try to make 'em long enough to begin with.

Maybe the very first thing to do is to try to get an extension on this. I don't think you've got enough time to do a decent job. Show us what you've got and we'll try to help you when you get stuck. Nobody's going to do it for you!

Best,
Frank
I don't expect that someone will do the project for but i needed some guidance and this is really helpful , thank u man !  i will surely get to u if i got stuck at smth ;)

Offline MJaoune

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 02:31:24 PM »
Well I wont do the project for you since that will not make you learn. But I can give you the idea to start.

So why don't you use MySQL to create a database and a table with all the information of the members, and use the MySQL Library to call functions for those queries?

But you would need MySQL server for that.

You can use any database system instead of MySQL, or maybe you can use an INI file to store the data there and then you can get an INI parsing library and call its functions using nasm.

Actually those are the ideas I would use if I got to do such project, but there are many many other ways, just think and be creative.

Best wishes,
MJaoune
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:33:44 PM by MJaoune »