Author Topic: how to install nasm in windows 64 bit operating system  (Read 12304 times)

Offline ramkrishna

how to install nasm in windows 64 bit operating system
« on: September 04, 2013, 06:43:11 PM »
HI,
My system is windows 64 bit operating system, when I'm trying to execute sample nasm programs through command prompt it is giving error messages as compatibility issue... I dont know how to install 64 bit version. Please anybody help me I'm new to this.

Offline ramkrishna

Re: how to install nasm in windows 64 bit operating system
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
And Can anyone send me 64 bit nasm sample programs

thanks in advance

Offline Gunner

• Gunners Software
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:37:08 AM »
I am going to take a stab at this and say you are trying to run 16bit DOS programs?  If so, 16bit apps cannot run on 64bit versions of Windows, you will need a DOS emulator like DOSBox.  Otherwise, what sample apps are you having trouble with?  NASM works fine on 32 and 64bit systems.

Offline scmaccal

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
when I'm trying to execute sample nasm programs through command prompt it is giving error messages as compatibility issue...

Please post your error message.

Offline glen45

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »
HI,
My system is windows 64 bit operating system, when I'm trying to execute sample nasm programs through command prompt it is giving error messages as compatibility issue... I wanted to ask here because I dont know how to install 64 bit version. Please anybody help me I'm new to this. I really need this and don't know where to ask for help.

I have the same exact problem.  What kind of error message are you getting?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:37:52 AM by glen45 »

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »
If you have the exact same problem, you ought to know! :)

Seriously, guys, we need more information. What did you do? What did you expect to happen? What happened instead?

If this is "the 16-bit problem", even I can't blame Microsoft for it. When we put the CPU in "long mode" (64-bit), "v86 mode" (which is what WinDOS has been running in for ages) is no longer available. Blame AMD, I guess, or perhaps the laws of physics. AFAIK, 32-bit programs should run in 64-bit Windows. That would include Nasm itself - I don't think we provide a 64-bit build of Nasm. There may be issues I'm not aware of. Tell us about it!

You should find 64-bit examples in the "Example Code" section (mostly thanks to Encryptor256 - Thanks!).

As "Number Five Is Alive" says... "need input", "need input"...

Best,
Frank