Author Topic: How to install on Linux?  (Read 5991 times)

Nathan

How to install on Linux?
« on: April 12, 2005, 06:37:51 AM »
I've D/Led the rpm, xferred it to Linux drive using a floppy and MTools, but now rpm does nothing with the file.  Do I have to be root?  File in the wrong directory?  Did mcopy corrupt the file?  Had similar problem with trying to install HLA.  The command "tar -x hla.tar.tar" just hangs.

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: How to install on Linux?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 09:49:51 AM »
Hi Evenbit!

Try "tar -xf hla.tar.tar"... although "tar.tar" doesn't sound right... I find that the "-" isn't actually needed with tar(!). To get hla installed... as root... "cd /", "tar zxf /wherever/you/put/hla.tar.gz" - worksforme.

Now rpm... to be honest, I've never installed Nasm from RPM. Just for you, I gave it a shot... Without being root, I get an "access denied". As root, a bunch of "failed dependencies" about libc.so.6 (guess I'm only up to 5). So forget that - back to the old way!

I download the source package - either .gz or .bz2 - just into my "home" directory. Then "tar -zxf (or yxf for .bz2 - throw in a "v" for verbose, but "f" must be last!) nasm-0.98.39.tar.gz". Then "cd nasm-0.98.39", "./configure" (now, for '39 only, you'll need to edit Makefile and remove the "std=c99"), "make", then, as root, "make install". Done! "cd doc", "make" for the docs - much smaller d/l than getting the docs "pre-made" from the website!

That's how I've always done it - and apparently how I *have* to do it until I get that much-needed upgrade done :) If "rpm" isn't working for you, maybe some variation on that will help...

Best,
Frank

Nathan

Re: How to install on Linux?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 06:24:45 PM »
Guess I overlooked the 'f' option for tar.  I think that double "tar.tar" might be an IE artifact or something.  Firefox tried to open it with WinZIP (without my asking it to) after d/l and when that crashed, the file was deleted -- so I had to use the dreaded IE.

Yeah, I finally tried NASM at root and got libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3) as a failed dependent [using Red Hat 7.2 which I think is 2002 or early 2003 release].  I'll try your sugestions.  Thanks for the help.