Author Topic: Is it possible to port NASM into C#?  (Read 12272 times)

Anindya Chatterjee

Is it possible to port NASM into C#?
« on: March 30, 2008, 06:21:21 AM »
A project is started at SF.net named NasmSharp, aim is to port NASM in C#. If anyone like to join the project then it is the page "https://sourceforge.net/projects/nasmsharp/"
Your help is highly appreciated.

nobody

Re: Is it possible to port NASM into C#?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 07:48:48 AM »
adn wrote:

"Operating System: OS Independent"

Please list some of supported OS'es ;-)

"aim is to port NASM in C#"

Please explain why this should be useful.

nobody

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 02:56:09 AM »
:-) This is probably the second most interesting post after the release of 2.00. I am eagerly awaiting the explanation.

nobody

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 10:24:41 PM »
"Please explain why this should be useful."

So you can step through it in the C# debugger?  Then it will be easier to understand and modify?  I have seen another project called
C# Intel Syntax Binary Assembler
on sourceforge.net.

I would like to make a simplified assembler in Dolphin Smalltalk.  I want to make an implementation that is easy to follow and is well documented.  It will probably use Lispy syntax instead of traditional assembler syntax.  That way Lisp style macros can be used.  picoLARC on sourceforge.net is a concept demo.

I tried looking at some of the source for nasm to try to learn something I could apply to this end.  But it's very complex in there. The documentation that is in there is very helpful.  But most of it is uncommented. I am not a C programmer but I know the basics.

I have the Intel opcode manuals.  I don't find them to be very illuminating.  There are no examples.  Just one single example would help a lot.  How do you figure this stuff out?  Where do you get your info?  Where is the help?

Is it possible to single step through nasm in Visual C++ 2005?
Can you point me at the info I would need to make a simple assembler?
Do you know of any open assemblers that work but are much simpler?