Author Topic: multi core processors  (Read 10722 times)

mene mene tekel

multi core processors
« on: January 12, 2008, 08:59:50 PM »
Hi all,
some years ago, I programmed computers like Intel Hypercube where you addressed any CPU in your code, explicitely. Today, I own an Intel Centrino Duo with two core "processors". Writing nasm code I'm missing instructions to address i.e.the two different register sets of the two "processors", setup parallel threads on them and so on ...
I searched the Intel home page for info about their assembler opcodes about that - but also no info found.
Question: Is there really no way in doing such programming? Is that the difference between "multi core" and "multi processor"? Any idea? Some code?
Thanks,
mene mene tekel

Debbie Wiles

Re: multi core processors
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »
The Intel Multi-Processor Specification 1.4 can be downloaded from http://datasheets.chipdb.org/Intel/x86/Intel%20Architecture/24201606.PDF

I am sure the same file can still be downloaded from Intel as well.... I give that link because it is a site I recently set up with datasheets for a wide range of processors (x86 and many others).

I didn't check what it will tell you, but it does have a section on considerations for the OS user, so should tell you how to create threads that use different cores or processors.

For any differences between the multi-processor spec and a multi-core spec, you will need to search the Intel website  for documentation on the Core series processors.

nobody

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 10:57:05 PM »
Great resource! Thanks, Debs! Good to hear from ya!

Best,
Frank

Debbie Wiles

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 01:30:21 AM »
Thanks Frank. I'll  probably be around more than I have been for a while, now I'm online at home again :)