Author Topic: nasm and ilink32  (Read 9108 times)

Pavel Skrylev

nasm and ilink32
« on: May 28, 2005, 06:00:29 PM »
ilink32 does not understand neither coff nor obj format of input file. How to use ilink32 with nasm?

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: nasm and ilink32
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 08:44:18 PM »
Hi Zanuda,

I've never used ilink32... we're talking about the Borland product, right? I've used (very little) Tlink and Tlink32 - both of which use "-f obj" (OMF) format. I assume that ilink32 also wants OMF, but I'm not really sure. If it *does* want COFF, it's probably "ms-coff" (-f win32), and not "djgpp-coff", which is what "-f coff" produces (they're *almost* the same, but not quite).

One issue is that Nasm's "-f obj" format defaults to 16-bit. If there's *anything* in the file (code, data, or just a label) before a 32-bit segment is declared, Nasm will put it into its default 16-bit code segment, causing a 32-bit linker to complain about 16-bit sections. One way around that is to put "bits 32" as the very first thing in the file - before any "%include"s or anything. That has to be "bits32" - "bits32" is seen as just a label.

Another thing linkers care about is the exact names of sections. Especially if you're linking against existing code, "code" and "_CODE" are two different sections, which will - at best - bloat your code unnecessarily. You can find out the existing names with "objdump", or just look at the .obj in a text editor.

If you can't get it working, post the exact error-message from ilink32 - sometimes there's a good "clue" there. You may have to RTFM on ilink32 to see what input format it *does* want. I'm fairly certain that Nasm will produce something it'll eat.

Best,
Frank

Pavel Skrylev

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 08:02:07 AM »
I have used bits 32 keyword as you said but there is no change in linking. The ilink32 have said 16 bits error.

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 08:09:28 AM »
Hi Zanuda,

That's weird! We may need to see the code. Got a simple example that shows the problem?

Best,
Frank