Author Topic: What happened to the BIN files in NASM?  (Read 7051 times)

nobody

What happened to the BIN files in NASM?
« on: October 31, 2009, 01:54:16 AM »
Hi Frank and everyone-

Today I took delivery of a new HP box.  Of course all my NASM stuff was gone....So I downloaded the 2.07 version and stashed it on my C drive.  When I looked to see what was there, the NASM exe was there along with a few other .exe's.  But, I remembered from my old box that there were a bunch of other BIN's besides the NASM exe.  I'm an old guy and so my memory isn't so terrific.  I suppose I might have stuck the NASM exe into MINGW for convenient access to GCC---maybe I did.  But, is there some other download of NASM that has the various GCC files included?

I know this is a ridiculous question...but it is really bugging me..

Mark Allyn

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: What happened to the BIN files in NASM?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 03:34:24 AM »
Hi Mark,

I don't recall Nasm ever being packaged with gcc files. At least not from "here". 2.07 is good, but 2.08rc1 is available:

http://www.nasm.us/

"downloads" will get you the "releases", including "release candidates". "snapshots" will get you the very latest builds. Generally, there's no reason not to get the very latest. Sure, there might be new bugs introduced, but there are probably old bugs fixed. On balance, there are probably fewer bugs in the newest versions - there might not have been any new bugs! :)

Currently, there's a bug in imul reg, reg, imm32... but only if you use the "-O" switch. A patch is being evaluated. Might want to wait for the next snapshot... (after 20091026)

Best,
Frank

mark allyn

Re: What happened to the BIN files in NASM?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 11:12:53 AM »
Hi Frank-

After sleeping on it, I've decided I must have downloaded the previous version into my C:\MinGW folder for convenience.

Sorry to be a nuisance with this trivia.

Regards,
Mark