Author Topic: A good interrupt guide/tutorial  (Read 10124 times)

nobody

A good interrupt guide/tutorial
« on: January 21, 2005, 10:26:52 PM »
i've have search a lot of interrupts list, I understand them, but i can't search for a command, like if I search for a GetFileSize  or SetCursorPos it wont find anything, and if i search for Get File Size, its find like 300 there have nothing to do with it, so what the hell can i do? a good guide/tutorial would be great. THANKS!

Peter Wiehe

Re: A good interrupt guide/tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 09:14:56 PM »
There are experts out there, but they can't answer, because You are not specific enough.
Do You mean:
- BIOS ints
- Linux ints
- Win ints
- DOS ints
- reprogramming the PIC (probably not)
and so on...
"Command" lets me guess, You are talking about BIOS or OS ints. Tell the folks which OS.

And to get clever answers ask in a forum, where it fits in. Maybe You question isn't NASM related...

(And don't write all in one line, with no capital 'I', people might think you were a lazy #*!?

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 06:17:35 AM »
As Peter says, it matters (a lot!) what OS. Assuming dos, the best source of information is Ralf Brown's Interrupt List (google should find it easily). Mostly dos interrupts, but the included "ports.lst" is useful in other OSen, too. Another thing that might help you is "helppc". Neither of them is really a "tutorial"...

The function names you mention sound more like "Windows API" functions. Not really "interrupts" - it's a "stdcall" interface. MS itself is probably the best source for that info (God help you!). You might find useful info for Windows programming at the NaGoA site - http://www.visual-assembler.pt.vu or at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/win32-nasm-users

Post a more specific question if you need more help.

Best,
Frank

Peter Wiehe

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 01:54:23 PM »
BTW: If You mean its hard to find some function in Ralph Brown's interrupt list or in a WinAPI reference or such, then the bad news are:
You are not the only one who has to read a lot of stuff in a reference to find a function. Get used to it, learn to cope with it. Nobody said programming is always a lazy work.
You can
- buy a book
- learn Your interrupts/functions well, so that You know where to look in the huge list of ints/funcs
- use a search function of Your editor/browser or of the website.

Regards
Peter Wiehe