Author Topic: Just picked up a Linux assembly book.  (Read 1800 times)

Offline tysonprogrammer

• C# application developer attempting assembly.
Just picked up a Linux assembly book.
« on: March 19, 2023, 11:20:07 PM »
I just picked up a copy of Assembly Language Step by Step Programming with Linux by Jeff Duntemann and it thanks Frank Kotler, this the the same Frank Kotler that works on nasm?

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: Just picked up a Linux assembly book.
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 11:55:48 PM »
Hi tysonprpgrammer.

I have corresponded with Jeff Duntemann a little bit about Linux programming and Nasm... can't think of anything he would thank me for... He seems like a really nice guy. I'm sure you will enjoy his book!

You  probably know that the first edition of "Step by Step" used Masm but he switched to Nasm (and Linux) after that.

Best,
Frank

Offline tysonprogrammer

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 09:09:26 PM »
I have the third edition and that's interesting it started with MASM; I have my VM setup with the newest version Fedora and nasm and I can't wait to get started coding. His book seems rather generous with details more so the the book I used when learning for Windows/DOS16. It might be a few chapters before I get to coding.

Thanks for whatever contributions you provided in the book.

Offline tysonprogrammer

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 04:50:59 PM »
Wish I would have known this book was for 32-bit assembly, I blame my lacking of reading the comments and description on Amazon listing. Had to make some alterations on my Linux VM to be able to compile the examples. Good experience though. I am now working my way through chapter 12, interfacing with glibc.