Author Topic: Assembly plagiarism  (Read 14753 times)

Offline mlinaje

Assembly plagiarism
« on: April 04, 2020, 10:47:08 PM »
Hi there,
I'm using 8086 assembly at the University and I would like to use a plagiarism detection system.
I checked that MOSS http://moss.stanford.edu works with 8086 assembly. I have tested different 8086 assembly templates with no luck.
Anyone here using 8086 assembly plagiarism detection system?

Offline debs3759

• Global Moderator
    • GPUZoo
Re: Assembly plagiarism
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 02:01:05 AM »
Without setting up a database of every sample online, I don't see how you can detect plagiarism. I learned x86 by looking at sample code, reading manuals and datasheets, etc, and rewriting code with extensive commenting. Being a mathematician helped me learn a lot, and made writing new code rather easy.
My graphics card database: www.gpuzoo.com

Offline mlinaje

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 07:37:46 AM »
Thanks replying ;-)
The idea is not to detect "global" plagiarism but "local" one. Softwares like moss compare each individual source code against a set of others ones. This is useful e.g., to detect plagiarism when teaching since copies come from classroom colleagues.
Moss should work but after a week testing different settings I was not able to make it work with x86 assembly (it worked fine with text and C files).

Anyone has try to use moss or other similar software with assembly?

Offline rreynolds

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2021, 07:14:13 PM »
Many years ago in computing history something (I think it was a ZIP/UNZIP utility) was shown to be copied by simply reading the comments :-)

Roops

Offline alCoPaUL

• Webpage
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 11:59:28 PM »
the unique control flow of the program will tell you that it's a uniquely created program..

say this pseudo code

a:
go down
go down
do some data manipulation
enough? go to a:
goto b:
b:
ret

so the control flow goes down, loops to the start, and then finishes after the 2nd round..

and that could be like a db string array manipulation using the same db string array.

and don't forget to put COMMENTS on your sources that tags you as the creator and datestamp it..
coz they can make it appear that a previous source existed before your code..

and that means you have to be sure that after finishing your code, you scour the whole internet for any similar search string..

the programming community is oriented to open source so it should be there, somewhere online, wayyy before you did it if they claim that they did it first..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:21:20 AM by alCoPaUL »