Author Topic: Help with converting keyboard input into its hex output  (Read 15508 times)

Offline turtle13

Help with converting keyboard input into its hex output
« on: August 15, 2017, 04:43:01 AM »
I have an assignment due Friday night that looks pretty overwhelming to me as a newbie. Any help you can assist with how I should go about setting this up would be greatly appreciated, assembly language programming is not easy for me and am struggling to learn it.

Assignment:

Part 1

Write an assembly language program to run on 32 bit Linux. Your program is to read a single line of input from the keyboard and output the two digit hexadecimal representation of each character separating each two digit hex value with exactly one space. You can expect no more than 200 characters to be entered on the input line and the line is considered to be terminated when a new line character ('\n', 0x0A) is read. It is up to you whether you choose to read one character at a time or many characters at a time. You will need to use the read, write, and exit system calls. Note that the read system call will not return until the user of your program presses the Enter key at which point you will be able to read every character up to and including the new line. On Linux systems, information regarding these system calls can be found in the man pages for each (under section 2) such as: man 2 read. The man pages describe the operation of each function including the number, type, and sequence of parameters required by each function. The required system call numbers can be found on slide 119 in the course notes or in the file /usr/include/asm/unistd_32.h.

A couple of hints

A) you will be working with byte size data.
B) A character is just a byte, each byte can be written as two hex digits. You need to break each character down into its two hex digits, determine the appropriate ASCII representation of each of those digits and then output both digits. All hex digits fall in the range 0..9A..F. Feel free to use upper or lower case letters at your discretion.
C) You need a loop, consider how to terminate it.
D) Example input and output:
ABCD\n
41 42 43 44 0A

Note that the 0A at the end of the output above represents the new line character at the end of the input line. Your program MUST NOT output anything other than the converted hex values (ie, DO NOTprompt for user input or display any other helpful messages)

Part 2

Write a Linux assembly language program that prints, one per line, the command line arguments used to invoke your program along with all of the environment variables in your programs execution environment. You may not use ANY system calls. Your program must consist solely of a main function and may use only the printf and exit functions from the C standard library. Your program MUST NOToutput anything other than argv and envp values (ie, DO NOT prompt for user input or display any other helpful messages). Your main function must adhere to the following prototype (keep in mind that main uses the cdecl calling convention):
int main(int argc, char *argv[], char *envp[]);
Example: If your final executable is named assign3_part2, a sample run might look like this:
# ./assign3_part2 hello world
./assign3_part2
hello
world
TERM=xterm
SHELL=/bin/bash
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
PWD=/home/jones
HOME=/home/jones

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: Help with converting keyboard input into its hex output
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 07:29:54 AM »
Hi again turtle13,

Actually, hex is a lot easier to display than decimal. We don't need to deal with that confusing (and slow) "div" instruction. Each four bits is a digit. We want to print the leftmost four bits first, then the rightmost four bits. The difference between a number and its ascii representation is 30h... or 48 decimal... or '0'. The latter is somewhat "self-documenting". The characters A..F do not immediately follow the characters 0..9. The difference is 7, or if you want lowercase 27h. Try "man ascii" for an ascii table.

First, of course, you need to use sys_read to read some characters. Do you know how to do that part? Your instructor kindly tells us that we can expect no more than 200 bytes. The typical user will get bored long before that. sys_read will return the number of bytes typed in eax (includes the linefeed). We can use that, or just watch for the linefeed to terminate our loop.

Supposing we've got our input in "inbuf"...
Code: [Select]
mov ecx, eax ; length read into loop counter
mov esi, inbuf
mov edi, outbuf
.top:
lodsb ; get a byte in al
push eax ; save it - we're gonna need it twice
shr al, 4 ; get high 4 bits into low
add al, '0' ; note: character '0', not 0
cmp al, '9'
jbe .skip
add al, 7
.skip:
stosb
pop eax ; get our byte back
and al, 0Fh ; low 4 bits this time
add al, '0' ; and do it again
cmp al, '9'
jbe .skip2
add al, 7
.skip2:
stosb
mov al ' ' ; exactly one space
stosb
loop .top
mov al, 0Ah ; linefeed
stosb
... and print "outbuf". Oops, we probably should have counted the length as we went along. You can add that. Or we can figure the length another way...

There are different ways to do this. This is the shortest way I know:
; isolate a nibble
cmp al, 0Ah
sbb al, 69h
das
"das" is real slow... and it's hard to figure out! I don't recommend this method unless you're short on memory.

Another method:
section .data
hextable db ""0123456789ABCDEF"
this might have the "advantage" that it's one of the few uses I know for "xlatb".

Which brings us to a question... Which instructions do you know? What are you using for a textbook? No sense in my showing you "string" instructions if you don't know them. Take a shot at this and show us what you can get. (write the comments first if you don't know where to start)

Fortunately, "part 2" looks like a completely different program - a completely different world! Going from "display hex" to "just call printf"? Why not use printf to display hex? Well, I'm not teaching the course...

Best,
Frank

Offline turtle13

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 04:01:35 AM »
This is what I have come up with so far:

bits 32

section .text

global _start

_start:

mov ebx, 0              ; set up stdin for keyboard input
        mov eax, 3              ; sys call for read- returns #bytes typed into eax
        int 0x80                ; kernel trap

;mov esi, input_buffer
        ;mov edi, output_buffer

returnkey:                      ; loop that will terminate the input if return is pressed
        mov

done:
        mov ebx, 0
        mov eax, 1
        int 0x80

section .data
hex_table db "0123456789ABCDEF"

section .bss

input_buffer resb 200   ; declare 200 bytes for keyboard input

Does this appear to be on the right track?

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 04:37:42 AM »
Yeah, pretty much...
bits 32

section .text

global _start

_start:

; need a buffer to read  into in ecx
        mov ecx, input_buffer
; and the (maximum) count
        mov edx, 200

mov esi, input_buffer
        mov edi, output_buffer
        mov ecx, eax ; count of bytes typed
        mov ebx, hex_table
        xor edx, edx ; counter for output bytes to print

; sys_read does this
;returnkey:                      ; loop that will terminate the input if return is pressed
 ;       mov

top:
; get a byte/character into al
        lodsb
        push eax ; save a copy
; isolate high nibble
        shr al, 4
        xlat ; alias of xlatb
        stosb ; put it in output buffer
        and al, 0x0F ; isolate low nibble
        xlatb ; alias of xlat - take your pick
        stosb ; put in output buffer
        mov al, ' ' ; a space
        stosb
        add edx, 3
        loop top  ; do 'em all
        mov al, 10 ; linefeed
        stosb
        inc edx

; now print it out
        mov eax, 4 ; sys_write
        mov ebx, 1 ; stdout
        mov ecx, output_buffer
        ; edx should be all set
        int 0x80

done:
        mov ebx, 0
        mov eax, 1
        int 0x80

section .data

section .bss

output_buffer resb 601 ; 3 bytes for each input byte, plus 1 for the final linefeed

That's untested - "should be" pretty close... I'll try it and get back to ya...

Best,
Frank

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 04:55:15 AM »
Yeah... looks okay...
; from turtle13 on the Forum

; since Nasm will do many things, I like to put the command line in the file
; Nasm -f elf32 myprog.asm
; ld -o myprog muprog.o -m elf_i386

bits 32

section .text

global _start

_start:

mov ecx, input_buffer
        mov edx, 200

mov esi, input_buffer
        mov edi, output_buffer
        mov ecx, eax ; count of bytes typed
        mov ebx, hex_table

; sys_read does this
;returnkey:                      ; loop that will terminate the input if return is pressed
 ;       mov

top:
        lodsb
        push eax ; save a copy
; isolate high nibble
        shr al, 4
        xlat ; alias of xlatb
        stosb ; put it in output buffer
        mov al, ' ' ; a space
        stosb
        add edx, 3
        loop top  ; do 'em all
        mov al, 10 ; linefeed
        stosb
        inc edx

; now print it out
        mov eax, 4 ; sys_write
        mov ebx, 1 ; stdout
        mov ecx, output_buffer
        ; edx should be all set
        int 0x80

done:
        mov ebx, 0
        mov eax, 1
        int 0x80

section .data

section .bss

output_buffer resb 601 ; 3 bytes for each input byte, plus 1 for the final linefeed

I probably should have left more for you to do, but I wanted to test it.

Best,
Frank

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 11:49:30 PM »
Ahhh, yeah. I definitely gave you too much here. I suppose what I should have done is completed your code - to make sure what I was telling you was correct - and kept it to myself, dribbling it out to you an instruction or two at a time. My bad. Sorry.

Best,
Frank

Offline turtle13

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 01:19:02 AM »
no worries Frank, my next assignment coming up you can dribble it out. At this point now I spoon feeding is probably best because I end up slobbering all over myself  ;D

A few questions for you on your code and what it is supposed to be doing so that I can learn from it:

; from turtle13 on the Forum

; since Nasm will do many things, I like to put the command line in the file
; Nasm -f elf32 myprog.asm
; ld -o myprog muprog.o -m elf_i386

bits 32

section .text

global _start

_start:

mov ecx, input_buffer 1. What exactly is going into ecx here? What value does input_buffer have at this point?
        mov edx, 200 2. Why is 200 declared here, if 200 bytes is already declared for input_buffer?

mov esi, input_buffer 3. Not too familiar with esi and edi instructions yet.. what are these two lines of code doing?
        mov edi, output_buffer
        mov ecx, eax ; count of bytes typed 4. Where are the values for eax coming from? Because when I look at eax above it holds the value "3" for the sys call read argument
        mov ebx, hex_table

; sys_read does this
 ;       mov

top:
        lodsb 5. What does lodsb do in this case?
        push eax ; save a copy
; isolate high nibble
        shr al, 4
        xlat ; alias of xlatb 6. I don't see the xlat command in my instructor's slides, what is it doing here?
        stosb ; put it in output buffer 7. are you referring to the output_buffer variable, if so, how is this instruction doing that?
        mov al, ' ' ; a space
        stosb
        add edx, 3 9. Why storing 3 in edx?
        loop top  ; do 'em all
        mov al, 10 ; linefeed 9. What is going on here?
        stosb
        inc edx

; now print it out
        mov eax, 4 ; sys_write
        mov ebx, 1 ; stdout
        mov ecx, output_buffer 10. How is the data actually getting passed into output_buffer?
        ; edx should be all set
        int 0x80

done:
        mov ebx, 0
        mov eax, 1
        int 0x80

section .data

section .bss

Offline turtle13

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 02:07:54 AM »
Perhaps you could help to dribble out part 2 of the assignment- haven't learned much about incorporating C standard library
into nasm language

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 04:36:14 AM »
Lemme deal with part 1 first. I see I made some assumptions that were apparently not correct...

mov ecx, input_buffer 1. What exactly is going into ecx here?
"input_buffer" is the address (the "offset" part of the address - in "flat memory model", which Windows and Linux are, the "base" part of the address is zero) of the buffer, which you had already declared.

What value does input_buffer have at this point?
The "[contents]" of the buffer are supposedly "uninitialized", but are in fact initialized (by the OS when it loads our program) to zeros - 200 of 'em.

mov edx, 200 2. Why is 200 declared here, if 200 bytes is already declared for input_buffer?
We're telling sys_read how many bytes to read (maximum), that is, how much space is available in the buffer... including the linefeed (Enter key) which terminates sys_read. Although we have asked to reserve 200 bytes, sys_read doesn't know this until we tell it - here. If the pesky user types more than what we've allowed in edx, the excess remains in the OS's input buffer - I think of it as the "keyboard buffer" - and will screw up the next read, ours or the shell's. It is safer to flush this - look for the linefeed and if we don't see it, read more into a "dummy" buffer and throw it away until we do see the linefeed. Since the assignment specified "not more than 200 bytes", I didn't do this. Safer to do it!

mov esi, input_buffer 3. Not too familiar with esi and edi instructions yet.. what are these two lines of code doing?
        mov edi, output_buffer
I asked if you knew the "string" instructions, and then didn't wait for an answer. The "string" instructions - lodsb, stosb, movsb, scasb, cmpsb, insb, and outsb - and their "w" and "d" and "q" friends (I think that's all of them) all use (e|r)si as a source, and es:(e|r)di as a destination. Since we're in "flat" memory model, ds: and es: refer to the same memory, so you don't need to worry about the "es:" part (in real mode you do). "lodsb" loads al from [esi] and advances esi to point to the next byte. "stosb" stores al in [edi] and advances edi to point to the next byte. "lodsw" loads ax and advances esi by two bytes, etc, etc, etc. Here, we're just setting up the "source index" and "destination index" for future use.

mov ecx, eax ; count of bytes typed 4. Where are the values for eax coming from? Because when I look at eax above it holds the value "3" for the sys call read argument
Right. But when sys_read returns - when it sees the Enter key being hit - it holds the number of bytes actually read... or an error number. By rights, it is always wise to check for an error! Since reading and writing to stdin and stdout are "unlikely" to encounter an error, I skipped that part and ASSumed no error... thus, bytes read. If you were reading/writing to a disk file, for example, it would be important to check for errors (a negative number between -1 and -4095. "man 2 read" claims that it returns -1 and the actual error number is in "errno", but that's the "C wrapper" - we get the negative of the error number in eax. "errno.h" has the numbers )

top:
        lodsb 5. What does lodsb do in this case?
Loads al from [esi] (in input_buffer) and advances esi to point to the next byte.

push eax ; save a copy
; isolate high nibble
        shr al, 4
        xlat ; alias of xlatb 6. I don't see the xlat command in my instructor's slides, what is it doing here?
Essentially, mov al, [ebx + al]. There's no such instruction - the sizes don't match - but that's about what xlat does. If it does not appear in your instructor's slides, perhaps you're not supposed to be using it. There are other ways, but it may be too late!

stosb ; put it in output buffer 7. are you referring to the output_buffer variable, if so, how is this instruction doing that?
It's the other one of those "string" instructions that we're using. Moves al - now "translated" to a hex digit - to [edi], which we pointed to "output_buffer", and advances edi to the next byte.

This reminds me of an important point that I haven't mentioned! In the "flags register" - where the zero flag, carry flag, etc. live - there's a "direction flag" whose function is to control the direction of the "string" instructions. If the flag is set - the "std" instruction - the "string" instructions work "down". That is, esi or edi will be decremented to point to the previous byte. It is considered rude to leave this flag pointed "down". It is wise to do "cld" to clear the direction flag so we go "up". I never set it "down" so I ASSumed it was set "up". This is a fairly serious error in the code I posted! Really should do "cld" before using the "string" instructions... unless you want to work "down" which is sometimes useful. My bad!

add edx, 3 9. Why storing 3 in edx?
We're not "storing" it, we're adding it. We zeroed edx at the beginning of this loop, and we've added 3 bytes to our output buffer - the two hex digits and the space. When we're done, this will be the number of bytes to print (sys_write).

loop top  ; do 'em all
This us the same as:
dec ecx
jnz top
You probably knew that one...

mov al, 10 ; linefeed 9. What is going on here?
        stosb
        inc edx
We're just adding a linefeed to the end of the buffer, and counting it. Just for a neater display - without it the shell prompt would be on the same line as our output.

; now print it out
        mov eax, 4 ; sys_write
        mov ebx, 1 ; stdout
        mov ecx, output_buffer 10. How is the data actually getting passed into output_buffer?
We put it there with the "stosb"s.

; edx should be all set
... 'cause we counted 'em!

I'll get to "part 2" soon. Remind me if I don't.

Best,
Frank

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 08:33:18 AM »
Okay, this is about as rudimentary as we can get. We're not really "incorporating" the C library into Nasm, but merely calling the C library from Nasm-written code. There is virtually no advantage to this compared to simply calling it from C. But we can do it.
; nasm -f elf32 hwprintf.asm
; gcc hwprintf.o -o hwprintf
; ./hwprintf

global main
extern printf

section .data
    fmtstr db 'Hello, World!',10,0
section .text
    main:

push dword fmtstr
    call printf
    add esp,4

ret

"global" tells Nasm to tell ld that "main" is here, in case anybody's looking for it. There is in fact some "startup code" - the thing that calls "main" - that will be looking for it.

"extern" tells Nasm that we'll be looking for "printf". ld will find it for us... in the C library, of course.

You will notice that we don't call ld. We call gcc and let gcc call ld for us. We can use ld directly, but we have to tell ld that we want libc, and perhaps where to find it, and we need to tell ld which "interpreter" aka "dynamic linker" we want, and where to find it. For some reason, by default ld looks for an interpreter that's not (usually) there. This produces the interesting error "file not found" when we run our executable, even though we can see it right there! gcc knows where to find all this crap and other stuff to tell ld. Easier to use it, even though there's no C code to compile.

I have exited with "ret", rather than with "exit()". I like to "prove" that I haven't butchered the stack. It is easy to add "exit" (as you're "supposed" to) and it will cover a lot of errors we could make. For now, I'm going with "ret".

Do you know C? Know how to use "printf"? Whether or not, feel free to fool with this. Alter it and see what it does. Try using "exit()". You won't break anything. (probably... my lawyer makes me say that).

Best,
Frank

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »
This is a second baby step towards finding those command line parameters and environment variables. They're on the stack, of course...

; nasm -f elf32 argv.asm
; gcc argv.o -o argv
; ./argv one two three

global main
extern printf

section .text
    main:
    mov eax, [esp + 8] ; find **argv on the stack - **envp is at + 12
    mov eax, [eax + 12] ; + 4 for "one", + 8 for "two"
    push eax

call printf
    add esp,4

ret

Again, feel free to play with this and see what it does.

Do you even know what the "stack" is? You probably know "push" and "pop". Do you know that "call" and "ret" use the stack?  Do you know how parameters are passed to subroutines on the stack? We can come up with some even simpler examples if need be. I'd like to think that they're teaching you something, not just handing out assignments and letting you flounder around. Well, if you've got questions we can discuss 'em...

Best,
Frank

Offline turtle13

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 08:55:36 PM »
thanks Frank,

in reference to your previous two posts, yes I am familiar with C as it was the prerequisite for this assembly class. The way it is being taught requires a bit of outside research to figure out how to complete these assignments which is a pain. When I'm in class learning it seems to make sense, then when I actually have to sit down and write something from scratch all of a sudden it's ancient Sumerian language.

You have included the line "add esp, 4" after the call printf, If I understand it correctly that decrements the stack by 4 bytes, but what is the end result in this case? Is it to clean up the stack?

When trying to link the program using your "gcc argv.o -o argv" instruction I get the error:
/usr/bin/ld: i386 architecture of input file `assign3_part2.o' is incompatible with i386:x86-64 output
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

(The VM that we are using for this class is 32 bit Linux Fedora, so I'm guessing there is an option missing in gcc to link it to that?)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 09:33:12 PM by turtle13 »

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 10:02:56 PM »
Yeah, if using a 64-bit system (I'm not) we have to indicate to gcc that we want a 32-bit program - not a 64-bit program. "-m32" should do it.

The "cdecl" calling convention specifies that the caller cleans up stack...
push (some parameter to printf)
call printf
add esp, 4 ; "clean up stack"
If we had more than one parameter to printf (fairly likely), we would "add esp, 4 * 2", or whatever. We could write it as "add esp, 8", of course, but it's easy to change the number of parameters - 4 bytes per parameter (we've got a 32-bit stack) * number of parameters.

An alternative, the "stdcall" convention, has the callee clean up the stack. The subroutine ends with "ret 4" (or some number of bytes - not the number of parameters). Windows uses this. It is not suitable for a function that has a variable number of parameters (like printf). ("vararg")

The "return value" from the function is in eax. printf  returns the number of items printed - not very useful. This is not the same as "ret 4".

You can learn Sumerian - the Sumerians did it!

Best,
Frank

Offline turtle13

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 12:56:03 AM »
so far I am able to get the program to print my "Hello World!" variable but not the "envp" stuff:

bits 32

global main

extern printf
extern exit

section .data
        test_str db 'Hello World!', 10, 0

section .text
main:
        push test_str
        call printf
        pop eax

xor eax, eax
        call exit

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 02:53:03 AM »
Okay. I think "exit" should have a parameter pushed on the stack. No need to "clean up stack" after, since we don't return. Doesn't matter too much. We can see the latest return value with "echo $?". You might try "push 42", just to see if you can see it. Traditional to return zero to indicate "no error".

What have you tried to see argv and envp?

My little example was a little too "bare bones" to see anything but one-at-a-time. Since printf uses eax ro return "number of items printed", we probably don't want to use that. C library is also allowed to trash ecx and edx. We can count on ebx, esi, and edi - C expects us to not alter them, also. Using "exit" will probably allow us to get away with that. We can create a "stack frame" with ebp as a "frame pointer"...
main:
    push ebp ; save caller's ebp - they're probably using it for the same thing we are
    mov ebp, esp ;pointer to stack frame
    ; sub esp, ??? if we need "local variables"

push ebx ; C likes us to preserve these registers
    push esi
    push edi

; our code

pop edi
    pop esi
    pop ebx

mov esp, ebp ; destroy stack frame
    pop ebp
    ret
When we arrived at "main", main's return address was at [esp], argc was at [esp + 4], **argv was at [esp + 8], and **envp was at [esp + 12]. Since we pushed ebp, these values are increased by 4. So **argv should be at [ebp + 12]. Your assignment writes it as "*argv[]". Means the same thing - I like to stress  that it's "pointer to pointer". We have to "dereference" it before it's useful to us.

We ignore argc, although it's often useful. It should always be at least 1 - the program name. We can use it to count command line arguments, or there should be a zero at the end of 'em. I usually do this without the assistance of libc. From the "_start label, it's not called, so there's no return address - argc is the first thing on the stack. So I'm less familiar with what we're going to find doing it "C style" - I think that zero's still there...

;...
main:
    push ebp
    push ebx
    push esi
    push edi

mov ebx, [ebp + 12]
    mov esi, [ebx] ; plus zero should be program name
    push esi
    call printf
    ; etc.

If we only pressed this into a clay tablet with a stylus, it would be "clear as mud".

Best,
Frank