Author Topic: dwCPUID 0.1  (Read 8944 times)

Offline debs3759

• Global Moderator
    • GPUZoo
dwCPUID 0.1
« on: September 08, 2016, 06:23:30 PM »
This is a CPUID app I wrote back in the P4 days. It detects any x86 CPU, including some pretty obscure versions, up to early P4 and Athlon XP model 8. The app currently only works in DOS, it will not run in Windows 10 x64.

I am starting work to rewrite this (the source file is massive and even with my extensive commenting it's hard to follow) and add many more modern chips. I also plan to add:

Extensive CPUID info (currently only detects basic info)
Cache checks to differentiate between, for example, PII/Celeron or Athlon/Duron.
Mobile CPUs.
Windows compatibility.

This will be done in stages. I have never written Windows apps in asm (or even C/C++) so that will be the last addition :)
My graphics card database: www.gpuzoo.com

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: dwCPUID 0.1
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 02:41:12 PM »
Hey Debs,

There's some interest in this program from news:comp.lang.asm.x86 (which I moderate). Folks are finding that they can't even download an attachment from this forum without an account. I wonder, since this has been around a while, if there's anyplace else it can be downloaded? If not, no problem, we can make 'em register...

Best,
Frank

Offline debs3759

• Global Moderator
    • GPUZoo
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 05:11:15 PM »
Hi Frank

I don't have it uploaded anywhere, but will have before the end of the year. Got a few bills/debts (mainly from buying CPUs!) to pay off then will be buying a domain and setting up a website. I'm currently researching cpuid codes for P4 and later processors (ie those beyond where I stopped writing code), with a goal of updating my code with at least all desktop cpus. Once the DOS code is fully rewritten I can concentrate on reading up the basics of Win32 coding, and write a version that works on all versions of Windows.

You are welcome to pass it on if others want it. Any code I write will always be open source and free to use/download/etc. Not sure these days how to access newsgroups, I don't think my current ISP has a server I can connect to. Might have to look into that :)
My graphics card database: www.gpuzoo.com

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 05:39:05 PM »
Free nntp servers:

nntp.aioe.org
news.eternal-september.org

The first one is anonymous, the second requires (free) signup. I suppose it's the "www" version you want, to contact them.  It's a dying protocol.

Best,
Frank