Author Topic: Missing dependancies in NASM Linux package  (Read 11327 times)

Offline ben321

Missing dependancies in NASM Linux package
« on: October 15, 2015, 06:05:57 AM »
So I downloaded a copy of DSL (damn small linux) and am running it in Microsoft Virtual PC. Then I decided to try to put NASM on it and run it, but it appears to be missing a file called libc.so.6 and I don't know where to get a copy of this dependency. I wish that the makers of NASM just packaged all the required files with it. Is there some sort of license agreement violation that would occur if you chose to package the dependencies with NASM? Did the makers of the libc.so.6 file state that it must never be distributed as part of another application's package?

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: Missing dependancies in NASM Linux package
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 08:02:03 AM »
Hi Ben321,

Unlikely that the makers of Nasm would include all possible files required, since Nasm will compile in a lot of places besides Linux - let alone Damn (too?) Small Linux. I think libc.so.6 is a standard C library, but I think it's actually a link to some other file. I suspect what you have to do is make a link to some other file - but I don't know which one. Maybe ask DSL? In my opinion, they're the ones that ought to be providing the files you need!

Googling for libc.so.6, I come up with a lot of references to "RPM". Is this an "RPM thing"? I've never had any luck with "RPM" - I consider it a "redhat thing" (everybody wants to be "one ring to rule them all"!) I just download the source and do "configure" and "make install". Try that, if you haven't. Wish I could help you more.

Best,
Frank

Offline ben321

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 08:10:47 AM »
Hi Ben321,

Unlikely that the makers of Nasm would include all possible files required, since Nasm will compile in a lot of places besides Linux - let alone Damn (too?) Small Linux. I think libc.so.6 is a standard C library, but I think it's actually a link to some other file. I suspect what you have to do is make a link to some other file - but I don't know which one. Maybe ask DSL? In my opinion, they're the ones that ought to be providing the files you need!

Googling for libc.so.6, I come up with a lot of references to "RPM". Is this an "RPM thing"? I've never had any luck with "RPM" - I consider it a "redhat thing" (everybody wants to be "one ring to rule them all"!) I just download the source and do "configure" and "make install". Try that, if you haven't. Wish I could help you more.

Best,
Frank

Make is a command that comes with C. You are assuming that all distros of Linux come with a copy of a C compiler. There may be packages that do, but Linux is just an OS. It's not a development suite. I doubt that most distros of Linux have Make or any other C executables by default.

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
http://damnsmalllinux.org/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=c2e741681c3976bee8537a4ef11e219c&topic=303780.msg304643#msg304643

I see reference to "libc6.dsl" from the "MyDSL repository". Does that help ya any?

Best,
Frank

Offline avcaballero

• Abre los Ojos al Ensamblador
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 10:47:50 AM »
I didn't use Linux for a while, but last time I used slitaz, rather tiny linux distro. If I don't remember wrong I installed nasm on it too. Installation process is rather easy, right click and install, maybe you are prompted to install any dependencies, then right click and install... It has a 3gb file of packages that you can download too. I have no much time to worry about how to install something, just right click and install  ;D.

Offline Rob Neff

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 03:55:51 PM »
Make is a command that comes with C. You are assuming that all distros of Linux come with a copy of a C compiler. There may be packages that do, but Linux is just an OS. It's not a development suite. I doubt that most distros of Linux have Make or any other C executables by default.

The beauty of open source is that if the distro you are using doesn't provide a pre-built software package then you have the option of obtaining the source, compiling it, and installing it yourself.  Nasm, along with 95% of Linux open-source software, was developed using C.  If you need to build it then you need the tools.  I'm not seeing an issue here.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:57:43 PM by Rob Neff »

Offline ben321

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 11:31:10 PM »
The beauty of open source is that if the distro you are using doesn't provide a pre-built software package

And if the package it doesn't have is C, then there's no way to compile it, because C is the compiler. Linux itself is NOT a compiler, and can't compile anything.

Offline ben321

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 11:42:26 PM »
http://damnsmalllinux.org/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=c2e741681c3976bee8537a4ef11e219c&topic=303780.msg304643#msg304643

I see reference to "libc6.dsl" from the "MyDSL repository". Does that help ya any?

Best,
Frank

The MyDSL app isn't successfully able to download the package in my copy of DSL. Possibly firewall blocking it? What port does MyDSL used to downlload the package database? Whatever the case, I manually downloaded libc6.dsl using the built in Bon Echo browser, then manually installed it using MyDSL's option to manually install a package. But I didn't see any window pop up saying "Now installing libc6.dsl" or any other similar message, so I don't know if it's correctly installed. How can I tell whether or not it installed?

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 01:02:15 AM »
I don't know, Ben. How did you know it wasn't installed in the first place? RPM tell you? Since "make install" is the only way that ever worked for me, I don't really know what you did. I'd ask around the DSL forum. I really don't think it's up to Nasm to provide C! I ASSume there's some way to do it, but I don't know.

Best,
Frank

Offline ben321

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 07:15:06 PM »
I don't know, Ben. How did you know it wasn't installed in the first place? RPM tell you? Since "make install" is the only way that ever worked for me, I don't really know what you did. I'd ask around the DSL forum. I really don't think it's up to Nasm to provide C! I ASSume there's some way to do it, but I don't know.

Best,
Frank

In Windows, NASM works as a standalone executable file. It doesn't have any dependencies. Why does the Linux version of NASM require C to work?

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 08:53:14 PM »
Let's go back to square one, Ben. What happens when you try to run Nasm in "Too Small Linux"?

Best,
Frank