Author Topic: Can't find download page for Ndisasm  (Read 18307 times)

Offline ben321

Can't find download page for Ndisasm
« on: March 21, 2015, 03:04:56 AM »
Ndisasm is supposed to be a disassembler, doing the exact opposite thing that NASM does. Because it is based on NASM, I assume the syntax of the output source code is based on what NASM expects, so disassembling an EXE file, editing its source code, and then recompiling it with NASM should be a breeze.

But there's one problem. I can't find it anywhere on the NASM website, even though it is specifically referenced in the NASM documentation at http://www.nasm.us/doc/nasmdoca.html

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: Can't find download page for Ndisasm
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 06:13:43 AM »
You "should" already have Ndisasm. If you downloaded a "package", ndisasm.exe should have been included. If you built Nasm from source (which is the way I do it), "make install_everything" should get you ndisasm, documentation (in more formats than you can shake a stick at), plus some rdoff utilities that you probably don't want. Ndisasm has always "come with" Nasm - even in the versions where the documentation had gone missing. :) They're built from the same source (mostly).

However... you may be disappointed in it. While it is true that it's in Nasm syntax, the format is not suitable for reassembly, as is. Worse, it attempts to disassemble everything - headers, data and all - which may result in trying to disassemble half-way through an opcode. This can all be fixed by telling ndisasm "start here", "stop here", "synch here" on the command line (I never found that "intellegent synch" worked very well), but it's a royal PITA.

Instead, I suggest you take a look at Agner Fog's "objconv". The "-fnasm" (no space) option produces a disassembly in Nasm syntax which is (IMO) much nicer than what ndisasm  gives. "objconv" does understand object - linkable or executable - formats (that's its job), where ndisasm doesn't even attempt to.

http://www.agner.org/optimize/#objconv

Check it out!

Best,
Frank

Offline ben321

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 02:09:43 PM »
Sorry, don't know how I didn't see that. It was right in front of me the whole time.

Offline KirkRudner

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »
Sorry, I can't do the same. I have this problem and I really need an adequate solution essay topics. Please write me ASAP!

Offline debs3759

• Global Moderator
    • GPUZoo
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 11:31:34 PM »
Sorry, I can't do the same. I have this problem and I really need an adequate solution essay topics. Please write me ASAP!

Frank already responded above. If your problem is different, please post exactly what the problem is. Personally, I don't do people's homework for them :)
My graphics card database: www.gpuzoo.com