Author Topic: newbie :recieving error making .com file  (Read 8495 times)

nobody

newbie :recieving error making .com file
« on: May 01, 2007, 05:23:22 AM »
i am having trouble making .com files because my assembler is giving me te error message 'label or instruction expected at the start of line .iam using bin format with org directive i have tried org 100h
org 0, org 0*100 in my .asm file,my nasm version is 0.98.39

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: newbie :recieving error making .com file
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 07:38:36 AM »
Hmmm... I assume that the line number in the error message refers to the "org" line? Strange! "org" is recognized in "-f bin" only. If you think you're assembling in binary format, you probably are - it's the default - but this sounds like what you'd get in some other output format.

The only thing I can suggest is to maybe post a little more of the exact code you're (not) assembling, and the exact command line you're giving Nasm. Should be something like "nasm -f bin -o myfile.com myfile.asm". Just "nasm -o myfile.com myfile.asm" ought to work, too. The more I think about it, the more it seems like it "must" be a "command line problem" of some sort!

Nasm *will* produce .com files - honest! - so don't give up until you've solved it!

Best,
Frank

nobody

Re: newbie :recieving error making .com file
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 10:25:08 AM »
thanks for solving my problem
 the command line i was using was
nasm -f bin ex13.asm -o ex13.com
nasm -f bin ex13.com -l ex13.lst

and it used to make my .com files properly {the studying material iam using has an older version of nasm than the one installed on my computer}. only recently i started experiencing this problem