Author Topic: error message "unable to open input file"  (Read 20506 times)

nobody

error message "unable to open input file"
« on: April 20, 2006, 04:41:20 AM »
I was trying to compile a document and saved it on my desktop in Microsoft Word under the name "loader.asm", but when I tried to compile it
I got "unable to open input file desktop\loader.asm" What should I do?

nobody

Re: error message "unable to open input file"
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 06:34:45 AM »
Either rename the file from whatever Word saved it as ("loader.asm.doc" or some cruft) to "loader.asm" , or tell Nasm the name Word saved it as. Or persuade Word to save it as "loader.asm, like you said...

You're putting this in "desktop\"???

Best,
Frank

nobody

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 10:37:03 PM »
I have the same problem. I saved NASM and the file called firstp.asm(with the editor) at C:\ . When I try to compile firstp.asm with nasm firstp.asm -f bin -o firstp.com at the command window I get the same message("unable to open input file"). Could you help me?

nobody

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 11:35:34 PM »
What does "dir firstp.*" have to say? If Nasm can't open your input file, chances are it's not there! Either it wasn't saved *where* you thought, or wasn't saved as the *name* you thought. Or you didn't tell Nasm right (if your editor saved your file as "firstp.asm.txt" or something, Nasm will assemble that, but has to be told the right name). (What build of Nasm are you using? For Windows, you probably want the Windows build. I like the djgpp build, 'cause it'll run in Windows *or* dos - but it *won't* do long file names. The Windows build is usually named "nasmw", which is what makes me ask...)

Or, you've discovered a bug in Nasm... but I doubt it. :)

Best,
Frank