Author Topic: create windows 3.1 .386 drivers  (Read 5414 times)

Offline michael weaser

create windows 3.1 .386 drivers
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:35:11 PM »
How do you create windows 3.1 .386 drivers in nasm

Offline Bryant Keller

• Forum Moderator
    • About Bryant Keller
Re: create windows 3.1 .386 drivers
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 06:53:36 PM »
This is kind of a broad question that I doubt anyone will be able to answer in a single post. Windows 3.1x abandoned the concept TSR's in favor of VxD's (Virtual Device Drivers). So if you want information on creating them, I would suggest searching for VxD specifically. That said, I can only really think of two decent resources of information for getting you started in NASM VxD's. Luckily, however, they are REALLY good resources. :D

TomCat's Win32NASM Page
This site contains a VxD Howto with include files. This was designed specifically for the Netwide Assembler and should work for your purposes. One thing to note, when reading the tutorial, it expects you to already know VxD programming in MASM (it's a translation Howto). So before you read the howto, you might want to check out....

Iczelion's Tutorials
This site contains a ton of really nice tutorials, albeit for MASM, on Windows assembly programming. If you scroll down, you'll see that Iczelion has a 9-part tutorial on programming VxD's for MASM.

About Bryant Keller
bkeller@about.me

Offline Bryant Keller

• Forum Moderator
    • About Bryant Keller
Re: create windows 3.1 .386 drivers
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:56:30 PM »
UPDATE
Turns out that Iczelion's website also contains a copy of TomCat's VxD howto for NASM, so you can also get it from there. :D

About Bryant Keller
bkeller@about.me