Author Topic: Nasm install on OSX with brew.. terminal not updating version  (Read 14545 times)

Offline kevin

Nasm install on OSX with brew.. terminal not updating version
« on: September 10, 2012, 03:38:08 AM »
Could one help me get Nasm 2.x working with OSX?  I used brew to build and install but when I go into terminal, nasm -v yields a "ASM version 0.98.40 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 11) compiled on Oct 24 2010" response.  The old version hasn't been replaced and I'm not sure what to do (uninstall, remove, sudo remove or what).

Thank you,
Kevin

Offline kevin

Re: Nasm install on OSX with brew.. terminal not updating version
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:46:30 AM »
./nasm -v
yields
NASM version 2.10.04 compiled on Sep  9 2012
response from directory

I'd still like to replace the old nasm with this one and be able to call it simply with "nasm" from terminal though.

Offline Rob Neff

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 03:37:40 PM »
If you were to echo $PATH you'll see where the operating system is looking for the old version.
Try adding the path to your current Nasm version ahead of any existing path.
However, unless you have a specific requirement to maintain the old version I'd recommend you upgrade to the latest version.

Offline Keith Kanios

• Personal Homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:22:30 PM »
Never had issues with upgrading over the Apple supplied version of NASM. Doing sudo make install at the terminal within the NASM source directory will "upgrade" NASM as desired.

You can copy the older NASM binary somewhere else first, as a backup, if you want.

Offline kevin

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:46:25 AM »
Thanks for the tips.  I opted for revealing hidden files in Finder, copying the new build from the local directory created by brew and then pasting it into the dirs where the old nasm bin was.. hope I'm not missing anything.  Hehe, seems to work so far :)