Author Topic: About %xdefine  (Read 6209 times)

Offline edwardcarlfox

About %xdefine
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:06:17 AM »
Hello everyone, I am trying to make some macro to aid programming in assembly. And what I am trying to do is, to define some macro, which will define a function header (including the label, some standard routines and give names to each parameter), and also some define local variables. Here are the codes:

Code: [Select]
%macro FUNCTION 1-*
%1:
push ebp
mov ebp, esp
%assign i 1
%rotate 1
%rep (%0 - 1) / 2
%xdefine %2 %1 [ebp + i * 4]
%assign i i + 1
%rotate 2
%endrep
%define no_paras ((%0 - 1) / 2)
%endmacro

%macro LOCALS 2-*
sub esp, %0 / 2 * 4
%assign i 1
%rep %0 / 2
%xdefine %2 %1 [ebp - i * 4]
%assign i i + 1
%rotate 2
%endrep
%define no_locals (%0 / 2)
%endmacro

When calling the macros, one would write something like this:
FUNCTION func1, dword, a, dword, b
LOCALS dword, c, dword, d
where func1 is the function name (the label), a and b are parameters, c and d are local variables. I "define" the parameters and variables using %xdefine, as you can see in the macro.

So now the problem is, when I call the macro the second time, and using the same names for parameters and variables like this:
FUNCTION func1, dword, a
mov a, eax

FUNCTION func2, dword, a
mov a, eax
I get some crazy stuff:
func1:
%line 3+0 C:\Users\edwardcarlfox\Desktop\ASMSrc\test.asm
 push ebp
 mov ebp, esp
%line 4+1 C:\Users\edwardcarlfox\Desktop\ASMSrc\test.asm
mov dword [ebp + 1 * 4], eax

func2:
%line 6+0 C:\Users\edwardcarlfox\Desktop\ASMSrc\test.asm
 push ebp
 mov ebp, esp
%line 7+1 C:\Users\edwardcarlfox\Desktop\ASMSrc\test.asm
mov [ebp + 1 * 4] dword [ebp + 1 * 4] [ebp + 1 * 4], eax
Technically, if I call the macro the second time, the name "a" will be redefined, so it will have a new value (although here the old and new values are the same). I cannot seem to find any error that causes this problem. But if I every time use different names, I have no problem.

Could some one see the problem? Or maybe I used some bad solution for this?

PS: I know there are already standard macros to define parameters and local variables, but I just want to make my own. So please don't tell me to use %arg and so on. I want to find out where I did wrong, or it is just a bug in the NASM preprocessor. And I also want to learn preprocessing in NASM.

Thanks in advanced!

Offline edwardcarlfox

Re: About %xdefine
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »
Never mind, I found the problem. It is, in the second time when the macro is called, the name "a" is already defined, so the actual parameters to the macro are
FUNCTION, dword, dword [ebp + 1 * 4]
and because of this, I got some weird output. Now I need to find out a walkaround to define the names used in a function before it returns.