Author Topic: installing problem under NetBSD  (Read 9716 times)

Offline dash

installing problem under NetBSD
« on: May 28, 2012, 01:50:10 PM »
Hi,
I'm a fresh in nasm.And today when i tried to install nasm on my pc runing NetBSD as Os,i was confused with a problem.Here is the details:
1.get a .tar.gz file from official site
2.unpack the file to /home/mytool/nasm-2.10
3.run ./configure as the manual says
4.run make   ------ here comes some errors :
                make: "/home/mytool/nasm-2.10/Makefile" line 46: Missing dependency operator
                make: "/home/mytool/nasm-2.10/Makefile" line 48: Need an operator
                make: Fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

make: stopped in /home/mytool/nasm-2.10

i can't figure this out,please help me.
thanx very much!
dash
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 02:04:53 PM by dash »

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: installing problem under NetBSD
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 07:28:57 AM »
I'm not familiar with NetBSD, and not too familiar with "make" in Linux (I'm running quite an "antique" distro). Looking at my "Makefile", starting from line 45...

Code: [Select]
# Debug stuff
ifeq ($(TRACE),1)
CFLAGS += -DNASM_TRACE
endif

That doesn't "look" to me like it would be responsible for the error messages you're seeing. Perhaps if you posted lines 46-48 from your Makefile, someone (probably not me) might be able to spot the problem.

There's a script, "autogen.sh", which you're not "supposed" to have to run. I wonder if it might help. It just runs "autoheader" and "autoconf"... and deletes some files. I wonder if running "autoheader" and "autoconf" by hand and examining "config.status" (and/or "config.log") would be of interest?

There's also a Perl script, "mkdep.pl", which you're also not "supposed" to have to run. I think of this only because your error messages mention "dependency".

There used to be a generic "Makefile.unx" in the "Mkfiles" directory, but I see it's not there anymore. Probably wouldn't have helped anyway...

For me, just doing "./configure" and "make install_everything" always works, so I don't know much about the things that can go wrong with the entire build process.

If a solution doesn't appear soon (I'm sure you're anxious to get started!), we can pose the question to the developer's list. We may need to seek out a "NetBSD guru". It's "supposed to work" - being "Netwide" is Nasm's claim to fame!

Best,
Frank

Offline dash

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 10:07:24 AM »
Thank you very much for reply ,Frank
I have checked my Makefile(ln45~ln48) char by char ,here is the contents of mine:
# Debug stuff                             .......line 45
ifeq ($(TRACE),1)                        .......line 46
      CFLAGS += -DNASM_TRACE  .......line 47
endif                                          .......line 48
as we can see ,same as yours.

And I tried "./autogen.sh" as you mentioned,and I got a result as below:
+  [-f /etc/shrc]
+ . /etc/shrc
+ autoheader
autoheader: not found
i guess is there "supposed" to have a "autoheader.?" and "autoconf.?" file in my directory? If true,i can't see them when i tried the ls command.Perhaps,the "make" error has something to do with this,but I do exactly get my nasm-2.10.tar.gz file  from here:   http://www.nasm.us/pub/nasm/releasebuilds/?C=M;O=D
is it possible that some files got lost during the unpacking process under my NetBSD os? The version is 5.1.2.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 10:09:48 AM by dash »

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »
"autoheader" and "autoconf" are not part of the Nasm source, but utilities. I'm not sure just what they do, but between 'em, I think they create "configure". I was just tossing out some "wild ideas" anyway.

Strange that NetBSD "make" complains about those same lines, and Linux "make" doesn't. I wonder what would happen if you commented out those lines (or delete 'em entirely)? You're not "supposed" to hand-edit Makefile - it's "supposed" to be auto-generated... but "desperate times call for desperate measures". I just tried this on my system (old!), and it didn't seem to make any difference. The comment indicates that it's "debug stuff", and you "shouldn't" have to debug Nasm anyway. Standard "don't sue me" disclaimer applies. :)

Thanks for your feedback. As I said, it's "supposed to work"!

Best,
Frank

Offline dash

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 02:13:56 AM »
Here comes the good news!
I just commented those lines,and tried again.This time,"make" doesn't complain any more.
And I made a simple test by a helloworld.asm ,and give commands as below:

nasm -f aoutb helloworld.asm
   ld -e _start -o helloworld helloworld.o
   ./helloworld
and get a right return.  "desperate times call for desperate measures". I appreciate that ;)
Seems there exists difference(s) between NetBSD "make" and Linux "make",i'm very interested in this.So,if you find the result please give me a lesson :)

Thank you very much again, and
Best regards,
dash
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:07:26 PM by dash »

Offline Bryant Keller

• Forum Moderator
    • About Bryant Keller
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:48:44 AM »
NetBSD's make utility is different from GNU make (the one used on Linux). Try building NASM using "gmake", that's the GNU make utility.

About Bryant Keller
bkeller@about.me

Offline rm123

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2016, 02:52:39 PM »
Hello,

I got the same error message, while trying to "make" nasm 2.11.08 and 2.12rc2 with the FreeBSD make (FreeBSD 10.2-RELEASE-p12). The reason is like Bryant told us. BSD-make is different from gnu-make and only gnu-make will work.

I tried to "make" it with gnu-make 4.1 and it worked. So here is the confirmation.  ;)

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 02:55:14 PM by rm123 »