Author Topic: Is there anyone familiar with gdb ?  (Read 16869 times)

Offline puttyios

Is there anyone familiar with gdb ?
« on: May 24, 2012, 03:49:45 PM »
How to use the mailing list at the GNU debugger site?

thanks!

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: Is there anyone familiar with gdb ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »
Poke around here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/mailing-lists/

I'm not very familiar with gdb. I can give ya a couple hints... add "-F dwarf" to Nasm's command line. Just "-g" will add debugging info, but in the default "stabs" format - gdb is happier with "dwarf", I'm told (to be honest, I don't notice much difference). If gcc is involved, just "-g" on gcc's command line. Don't use "-s" on ld's command line, if you're invoking ld yourself. If your entrypoint is "_start:", put a "nop" (or other single-byte instruction?) as the first instruction in your file - this gives gdb someplace to stop. Won't hurt to put a "nop" after "main", if that's what you're using - I'm not sure if it helps in that case...

You can make gdb somewhat more "asm friendly" by putting a suitable ".gdbinit" in your home directory, or in the current directory where you're working. I've got one that works for 32-bit code. I'll post it if you want it. Shortly before his death, Chuck Crayne  posted a ".gdbinit" good for both 64-bit and 32-bit code. I thought I'd saved it, but can't find it at the moment. I'll poke around the dusty old comp.lang.asm.x86 archives at google-groups and see if I can find it... or look yourself...

You may also want to know that Linux has (usually) got core-dumps turned off by default. To enable 'em, the command is "ulimit -c <size>", as I recall. I don't know how to use 'em.

I actually use a simpler(?) but less powerful(?) debugger - there are several. I can provide links, but your best bet is to learn to use gdb, if you've got the courage for it. Good luck!

Best,
Frank

Offline puttyios

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:08:25 AM »
very thank you!

I am doing some develop on linux , and  I  usually use it .

But I can not deal with some problem myself, so I want to discusse them with some gdb developers , and I  find the gdb mailing list at gnu website ,  the question which troubles me  is I can not send email to gdb@sourceware.org, Why?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:13:09 AM by puttyios »

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »
Well, if you were having a problem with a Nasm program, I'd ask, "exactly what did you do, and what happened?"

The usual scheme with mailing lists is to send mail with "subscribe" and nothing else as content - I don't think it'll hurt to use "subscribe" as both "subject:" and the only content. If you haven't tried that, try it and see what happens. If you've done that, well... what happened? As I mentioned, my main advice with gdb is, "Good Luck!"

Best,
Frank

Offline puttyios

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
thanks,  I have subscribed to the gdb mailing list before I post this topic.  in other words ,I have subscribe to the list ,but still can not send email to its address. thanks!

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 04:46:02 PM »
If this were a problem with a Nasm program, I'd try it myself, if I were able. So I did...

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at sourceware.org.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<gdb@sourceware.org>:
ezmlm-reject: fatal: Sorry, I don't accept commands in the subject line. Please send a message to the -help address shown in the the ``Mailing-List:'' header for command info (#5.7.0)

--- Enclosed are the original headers of the message.

Subject:
subscribe
Frank Kotler <fbkotler@myfairpoint.net>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2012 11:30:14 -0400
To:
gdb@sourceware.org

(Body suppressed)

I'm guessing that it does hurt to put "subscribe" in the "subject:". I'm not sure what  "the -help address shown in the the ``Mailing-List:'' header" means. Besides gdb being unfriendly, their mailing list is apparently pretty unfriendly, too! :)

If you've subscribed, this suggests that you've gotten something back from them(?). If not, it could be that your ISP is blocking them as "spam". It could be that Sourceware doesn't like your ISP. I had a friend that couldn't get mail from SourceForge because "hotmail" didn't have a human monitoring the "postmaster" address. She had to get a second address just to get mail from them, and I've had a similar problem (seems to be okay now). Or... this is perhaps a "delicate" subject... certain countries are alleged to block certain parts of the internet. If this is happening in the US, we're not aware of it - this doesn't mean it's not happening!

If you're desperate enough, I can try again to subscribe and you can send your questions to me and I'll relay 'em to them and relay the answers back. This would be awkward(!), and might expose you to "trouble"(?). Should be considered a last resort!

Once again, "Good Luck!"

Best,
Frank

Offline puttyios

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 03:50:08 AM »
thank you very much!

I want to tell you that I can receive email from gdb mailing list,just can not send email to it.

once I send email to its address I got this error ?
         SMTP error, DOT: 552 spam score exceeded threshold (#5.6.1).(SMTP error, DOT: 552 spam score exceeded threshold (#5.6.1)) 

so I think  my email is confused as spam by gdb mail server ,what should I do to avoid this?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:51:43 AM by puttyios »

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 06:27:52 AM »
Dunno, but googling around, I came across this, which I think may help you...

http://sourceware.org/lists.html#spam

Did I mention "Good Luck"? :)

Best,
Frank

Offline puttyios

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 08:47:11 AM »

as it says: If you are subscribed to a mailing list at sourceware.org or gcc.gnu.org, you will not be subject to some kinds of spam blocking for that mailing list. 

but I have sunsribed to that. 

thanks!

Offline puttyios

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 08:58:51 AM »
Frank,can you send email to gdb@sourceware.org successfully?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 12:16:53 PM by puttyios »

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 05:45:35 PM »
Not so far.

<gdb@sourceware.org>:
ezmlm-reject: fatal: Sorry, I don't accept message with empty Subject (#5.7.0)

Subject:
(no subject)
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2012 13:27:35 -0400
To:
gdb@sourceware.org

(Body suppressed)

Don't like a command in the subject. Don't like a blank subject. They don't like you, even though you're subscribed. I'm beginning to think that I'm not just imagining it, gdb really is a huge PITA!

Want those links to another debugger?

Best,
Frank

Offline puttyios

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 12:44:04 AM »

<gdb@sourceware.org>:
ezmlm-reject: fatal: Sorry, I don't accept message with empty Subject (#5.7.0)

Subject:
(no subject)
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2012 13:27:35 -0400
To:
gdb@sourceware.org

(Body suppressed)

this message is replied by gdb@sourceware.org ?

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 01:44:16 AM »
Yeah, appears to be. I didn't notice it before (if it was there before), but there's a comment in the header referring to this outfit:

http://www.dkim.org/

Does not seem to be informative... (To me - maybe you can make something of it)

They don't appear to want to hear from me, and I'm not inclined to push myself on someone who doesn't want to hear from me. As far as I'm concerned, it's a "dead link"!

Did you try the "global-allow" trick, or mail to "postmaster"? "Prepare to be mocked...". They're just not nice people! F(orget) 'em!

Best,
Frank

Offline puttyios

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 02:02:19 AM »
that message is  seemed  to  be replied by postmaster , who  I?have asked  for the reason .

thank you , Frank !

Offline puttyios

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 01:01:26 AM »
Oh,yes,I succeed when I use gmail SMTP. the reasn is the previous SMTP use unacceptable format for gdb mailing list  in email.
Frank , thank you verymuch!