Author Topic: can't install on dos.  (Read 7654 times)

Offline bluasm

can't install on dos.
« on: February 20, 2012, 06:20:36 AM »
I have used nasm in the past in XP; I want to use it in freedos, but the build instructions make no sense. There is a make file for openwatcom,
but none for djgpp, which I use, yet the install readme says you recommend djgpp! What gives? bluasm<wb2ztn@gmail.com>.

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: can't install on dos.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
I guess the install readme is out of date. (it happens) Does "configure" work with djgpp? That might do it, if so. If not, you may have to modify some existing makefile. There used to be a generic Makefile.unx in the Mkfiles directory which worked, I think, but I see that's gone...

As I recall, I had to use the "beta" version of djgpp to build it after we fixed the buffer overflow. Kind of a PITA to get it installed, but then it worked... but that was a long time ago...

The pre-compiled version should work (either upx-packed or not), but you should be able to build it yourself if you want to. You could always install OpenWatcom, but you shouldn't have to, I don't think. I'm pretty sure you will need the "beta" djgpp (for snprintf), though.

If you can't get it to work, I can post the Makefile "./configure" produces for me, and we can try to work out what changes would be needed. Anyone built Nasm with djgpp lately?

Best,
Frank

Offline bluasm

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:34:46 PM »
Frank, I don't seem to see a precompiled exe, except for 'nasm.exe', which wants to run in windows, as well as the installer exe,
again, only works in windows. As for openwatcom, I installed it last night, after saving the djgpp into the linux partition; the
result was a stream of 'not-defineds' etc. . Truthfully, I used watcom 1.9 instead of the 1.7 mentioned in the readme. I just don't want to install windows(btw,will nasm installer work on W98?). Richard<wb2ztn@gmail.com>.

Offline bluasm

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:28:40 PM »
Shut my mouth. Frank, I'm wearin' the goat horns. I was so sleepy last night, I failed to see the directory for dos! I just downloade the two
files, and the regular dos one runs in freedos. To quote the late Gilda Radner: never mind.

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:43:38 PM »
Hi Richard,

The dos .exe's are in .zip form, which may be why you didn't find 'em.

http://www.nasm.us/pub/nasm/releasebuilds/2.10rc8/dos/

You're right, the only actual .exe we've got is the Windows installer. I don't know if it still works on Win98. Used to. AFAIK, I created the first ever installer for Windows (98) - outfit called "NSIS", in a directory called "free sh!t", had a script/program to create an installer. I did it as a "joke" really - doesn't take a lot of "installing" really, compared to other programs - but I figured "make sure they've got the manual with it". As I recall, I made it so it opened the manual at the end, whether you asked for it or not, in the default browser - Netscape or "Exploder". But that was a long time ago...

I don't know what the problem could be with OW. I don't think the difference between 1.7 and 1.9 should do it, but it might. I think Peter uses Watcom on Linux to build the dos targets, so it must be possible, but maybe not what you or I would call "easy"...

My latest experience with OpenWatcom was trying to build 16-bit targets - not actually for dos, but for a "homemade OS". I don't recall that the install went well, and as you say... a cascade of "not defined"s... I think I started adding "dummy" variables to get rid of it, but I don't think I ever got it to work.

I've got a FreeDos partition, but I rarely boot to it. I "remember dos fondly", but when I actually boot to it, I'm anxious to get back to Linux. Wasn't always that way. When I first installed Linux, I'd run it for a while and then want to get back to something "familiar". Eventually I made the transition. At one point, I needed drive space and realized that I never booted Windows anymore, so I wiped it out and installed Linux on that drive, too. :) Someday when I'm "in the mood" I can boot FreeDos and experiment, but I don't have my "preferred tools" installed and it would take me a while to get "comfortable" with it. No internet access - can't find a driver that wants to work with my card - and no access to Linux files, so it's a PITA. I'm not highly motivated to "go back", but Nasm is "supposed to work" and if there are problems, I'd like to find out why. Don't hold your breath! :)

Best,
Frank

P.S. Just saw your latest post. As you say... "Never mind"... :)