Author Topic: was: A problem while unistall nasm  (Read 33926 times)

Offline JoeCoder

was: A problem while unistall nasm
« on: May 17, 2011, 01:21:03 PM »
Hello,everybody
As I had just installed office 2010 in my XP, and at the same time unistalled the nasm.
But the nasm-unistall-tool had deleted the files in office directory, why ?  ???

LOL dump Windows and get a real OS. Stuff like this never happens EXCEPT on Windows.
If you can't code it in assembly, it can't be coded!

Offline Bryant Keller

• Forum Moderator
    • About Bryant Keller
re: was: A problem while unistall nasm
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 06:10:21 AM »
LOL dump Windows and get a real OS. Stuff like this never happens EXCEPT on Windows.

I don't see a need for that. Windows is an awesome OS. I use Windows on one of my computers for a uC development environment... The "OS Wars" just seems silly to me, each OS excels in different ways and I'm happy that I have the option of using windows instead of being always stuck on Linux/BSD systems, I'm even more happier when I get a reason to install DOS. :)

That being said... NASM has an installer? :P

About Bryant Keller
bkeller@about.me

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:53:54 AM »
Yeah, it does: nasm-x.xx.installer.exe. Seems like overkill to me, but the Windows-folk seem to expect it.  Only fair, I suppose - we've got "RPM"s for the Red-Hat-folk. I never have been able to get it to work, but it's there...

Best,
Frank

Offline MJaoune

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 12:55:57 PM »
What do you want him to get?? A stupid Mac that only have one good thing in it which is the GUI?? Or Linux the Open-Soruce??? All the commercial software products are created under windows, %80 of the most famous companies use Windows. That shows us that you are not a good programmer if you say that windows is not good  ???

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 03:53:08 PM »
The guys who write Linux do it because they love it. The guys who write Windows won't do it if they don't get paid. Which do you think would be bettter?

Of course, I don't want to get into any "OS wars" here! :)

Best,
Frank

Offline Keith Kanios

• Personal Homepage
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 05:23:15 PM »
The guys who write Linux do it because they love it. The guys who write Windows won't do it if they don't get paid. Which do you think would be bettter?

Any of the BSD family ;D

Offline MJaoune

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2011, 05:29:22 PM »
We can't rate an Operating System just because of its history or how it was created, Windows was created by professional Microsoft Programmers/Engineers, and Linux was created by normal programmers which used normal programming languages like C and Assembly (Well Assembly is not normal, it is an advanced language), C was created by Microsoft which Linux used when created
Don't worry Frank, I won't declare an "OS War" on you :P ;)
Yours Sincerely,
Mahmoud

Offline Keith Kanios

• Personal Homepage
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »
We can't rate an Operating System just because of its history or how it was created, Windows was created by professional Microsoft Programmers/Engineers, and Linux was created by normal programmers which used normal programming languages like C and Assembly (Well Assembly is not normal, it is an advanced language), C was created by Microsoft which Linux used when created

MJaoune, you are demonstrating a severe lack of understanding regarding these subjects. For example. C was not "created" by Microsoft... C predates the existence of Microsoft! Also, Linux has had much corporate (i.e. paid development) backing.

Please, at the very least, use Wikipedia to review the history of these things so you may come better prepared to these types of conversations.

Offline MJaoune

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
C was created by Dennis Ritchie and some other developers, who most of them now work with Microsoft, that is why some people consider C as created by Microsoft

Offline Keith Kanios

• Personal Homepage
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 05:41:18 PM »
C was created by Dennis Ritchie and some other developers, who most of them now work with Microsoft, that is why some people consider C as created by Microsoft

Perhaps, but Microsoft "creating" C is incorrect and revisionist history at best.

This is still a technical forum, and people rely on us for accurate information, please dabble in facts and not conjecture.

Offline Bryant Keller

• Forum Moderator
    • About Bryant Keller
Re: re: was: A problem while unistall nasm
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 05:38:00 AM »

When did Dennis Ritchie work for Microsoft? He and Ken developed C when they were working at Bell Labs, then Bell Labs restructured itself a few times before turning into Alcatel/Lucent from which he retired about 4 years ago. Even if he did work for Microsoft now, that wouldn't give Microsoft claims as of "creating" C, C was created by Bell Labs (the company that was paying Dennis and Ken when they created C) lol

Of course, I don't want to get into any "OS wars" here! :)

There really is no point.. It's not like Windows, Linux, or BSD is IEC 61508 compliant like SafeRTOS :P
SafeRTOS ftw!

About Bryant Keller
bkeller@about.me

Offline Keith Kanios

• Personal Homepage
Re: re: was: A problem while unistall nasm
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 04:02:01 PM »

When did Dennis Ritchie work for Microsoft?

That is the first thing I saw too, but then I saw the ambiguous blanket statement of and some other developers, who most of them now work with Microsoft.

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: was: A problem while unistall nasm
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »
(Actually, Mahmoud, I was more worried that I was going to declare "OS war" on you! :) )

MS may think they created C. They seem to feel free to ignore International Standards and follow their own.

As Mahmoud points out, these guys are professional programmers! So how come there are exploitable vulnerabilities in each new release? Just trying to keep the AV guys employed? :)

Best,
Frank

Offline MJaoune

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 01:30:04 PM »
(My military forces are not ready at the moment :P)

I agree that Microsoft is a dirty company that wants to own everything, they always wanted to buy yahoo.com, and some other things.

Linux is a good OS, but windows is good too... :-\

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »
Agreed. I'm not really sure it's "dirty" for a company to want to own everything. Most companies do! But I have a different opinion: I want 'em not to! That's the real reason I avoid MS. If we don't "exercise" our choices, they might go away!

I've never tried BSD. I've been told by others that BSD is "more secure", and that "Linux feels like it was thrown together, BSD feels like it was engineered". SafeRTOS is probably good, too. Never heard of that one - I'll check it out (later...).

Best,
Frank

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:11:11 PM by Frank Kotler »