Author Topic: WOW, what just happened?  (Read 9976 times)

Offline Wannabe Developer

WOW, what just happened?
« on: March 02, 2011, 04:37:07 AM »
So I just finished a script and made a binary COM copy of it and launched it. Instead of doing what it should have, what did happen was...basically nothing, except the directory listing moved down about 8 lines or so (as seen below). Why?
__________________________________________________________________________________

C:\directory...>

__________________________________________________________________________________

Offline Keith Kanios

• Personal Homepage
Re: WOW, what just happened?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 04:51:29 AM »
Clarify what you mean by script, and binary COM copy... both of those terms can have many meanings.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:02:43 AM »
Clarify what you mean by script, and binary COM copy... both of those terms can have many meanings.

Script is referring to a .asm file that I made, and the "binary COM copy" was the .com file generated by using nasm from the command prompt and .asm file

Offline Keith Kanios

• Personal Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 05:24:58 AM »
Script is referring to a .asm file that I made, and the "binary COM copy" was the .com file generated by using nasm from the command prompt and .asm file

OK, script has a very specific meaning, as in a scripted language, e.g. batch file, bash, perl, php, python, etc. The general term code is most common and implicitly understood in context.

As for binary COM copy, the terminology there, with respect to NASM, is simply assembled.

OK, now that I understand that you actually assembled your code to a binary COM file (-f bin), on to the next step.

Without your code, I can only give a best and uneducated guess.

Guess 1: Somehow you printed out a bunch of newlines?
Guess 2: You scrolled the display without knowing it?
Guess 3: You resized the display and upon exit it returned to its original size but caused a scroll of sorts?

If you are willing to show the code you used, I am willing to give you a more educated guess.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:26:54 AM by Keith Kanios »

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 06:54:27 AM »

OK, script has a very specific meaning, as in a scripted language, e.g. batch file, bash, perl, php, python, etc. The general term code is most common and implicitly understood in context.

As for binary COM copy, the terminology there, with respect to NASM, is simply assembled.

OK, now that I understand that you actually assembled your code to a binary COM file (-f bin), on to the next step.

Without your code, I can only give a best and uneducated guess.

Guess 1: Somehow you printed out a bunch of newlines?
Guess 2: You scrolled the display without knowing it?
Guess 3: You resized the display and upon exit it returned to its original size but caused a scroll of sorts?

If you are willing to show the code you used, I am willing to give you a more educated guess.

Alright, I've found out that guess 2 is correct, because each time I run the program, the directory listing just goes down another couple lines, which is strange. Back to the old drawing board...