Author Topic: Can't use xmmword on Mac OS X, reports "error: comma or end of line expected"  (Read 9934 times)

Offline johnd

Hello all,

I'm new to NASM, and very new to MacOS, please excuse what is probably a very newbe question.

I'm trying to port some Linux code over to Mac OS X (10.6.3).

nasm -v reports:

"NASM version 0.98.40 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 11) compiled on Oct  1 2009"

There's a snippet of code below, the problem is that every line that includes "xmmword" generates a "error: comma or end of line expected" error. I've googled a fair amount and tried changing "xmmword" to "xmmword ptr" or to "oword ptr" but I get the same errors. The most successfull change was to change "xmmword" to "qword", which I think got me further, but I get a bunch of "mismatch in operand sizes" errors, which are probably correct.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks,
John.

code snippet follows.

movdqu          xmm1,xmmword [ecx+edi*8]        ; L = 2 F64 from L1
        mulpd           xmm1,xmm5       ; L *= R0
        movdqu          xmmword [esi+edi*8],xmm1        ; X1 = 2 F64 from L
        sub             edi,2   ; try decrement bnd by 2
        jnc             F64_MUL10_F64_F64_loop  ; if bnd>=0 goto loop
        add             edi,2   ; else restore bnd...
        jmp             F64_MUL10_F64_F64_scalar        ; ...and finish with scalar routine

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
You were closing in on it, John! I think you want just "oword" there. (Nasm doesn't use "ptr", at all, anywhere) These "?word" size specifiers aren't too well documented, as such. The section on "Pseudo-instructions":

http://www.nasm.us/doc/nasmdoc3.html#section-3.2

Comes about as close as anything, I guess. Doesn't quite say that you can use "byte", "word", "dword", "qword", "tword", "oword", and "yword" as size specifiers... but you can.

I guess if you've got a bunch of code full of "xmmword", you could:

Code: [Select]
%define xmmword oword
;%idefine ptr  ; as nothing... if you need to...

Let us know how it comes out. We need Mac OSX examples!

Best,
Frank

Offline johnd

Hi Keith,

OK, I needed to remove the xmmword text completely (as your macro would have done).

In addition I needed to remove the "dword" specifier when using the cvtsi2sd  instruction so:

cvtsi2sd xmm5, dword [ecx]

becomes:

cvtsi2sd xmm5, [ecx]

It now all assembles fine for 32 bit. I have a different problem with macho64, which I'll post separately.

I'll try to post some cutdown illustrative code when I get a moment and everything is working.

Thanks for your help,
/john

Offline Keith Kanios

• Personal Homepage

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Eh, "hi" to everybody! Awaiting your problem with macho64, John. That'll be Keith's baliwick!

Best,
Frank