Author Topic: Video card  (Read 17758 times)

nobody

Video card
« on: October 21, 2004, 06:10:03 PM »
I need to use higher resolution than 640*480 in 4 bits. Well I tried to use the bank switch but it is very, very slow even if I do it on the port address of the card. So I tried to create a linear framebuffer but the source code I downloaded to help me didn't actually work. So if somebody could tell me how can I create a lfb, please do it.
Thanks a lot: TorokG

nobody

Re: Video card
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 12:33:03 AM »
well you cant because that way works vga 16 color mode, use 256 color mode instead or divide picture into 4 planes, first set port for 1 plan draw whole,then 2nd till 4th, for lfb you have to use vesa bios extension & protected mode, in real mode you have to switch memory banks if whole resolution data is biger than 64kb

nobody

Re: Video card
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 06:35:26 PM »
I have no fear of the pm and the vesa bios extension. As I said I had downloaded an example code containing these things but it did not work.
I know I cannot connect to pm in windows so I tried to do everything both in windows and without opsys (I booted my program). Everything was working except the lfb. I really need the lfb because I'm not satisfied with the speed of the bank switch and 256 color is not enough for me.