Author Topic: Documentation  (Read 8402 times)

nobody

Documentation
« on: July 09, 2009, 01:37:53 AM »
Hello,

I have made some changes to the perl script that generates NASM's documentation. Specifically to the HTML generating code; now it generates valid XHTML 1.0 strict. Also, the generated files reference an externel stylesheet (nasmdoc.css), alowing one to easily modify the documentation's presentation. No changes have been made to the nasmdoc.src file.

Anyway, is such a change desirable? If so, who do I contact about this?

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: Documentation
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 12:59:23 PM »
"Anyway, is such a change desirable?"

Dunno. Is it? What's it going to do for us?

My personal opinion is that Nasm documentation is produced in sufficient formats. More than sufficient! Opinions differ on this - Jim and Nathan have conspired to produce a .chm version (available in the "contributions" section of the SourceForge download page). Despite being recent, this no longer reflects the "latest" changes to the documentation. As I understand it, your proposal *would* be "self maintaining" in that it would reflect the latest version... So might be useful, yeah...

"If so, who do I contact about this?"

If you propose to have this contribution added to the "mainline" distribution code, subscribe to the "nasm-devel" list, and ask there. (the Nasm development team is *not* looking for more stuff to maintain, AFAIK) Or, you can just mail it to me - fbkotler myfairpoint net (or users sf net) - and I can stick it in the "contributions" section...

In any case, thanks for your contribution to Nasm!

Best,
Frank