Author Topic: Old ASM programmers  (Read 7215 times)

Tom Timmermann

Old ASM programmers
« on: April 16, 2009, 09:15:55 PM »
Frank,

Great work with NASM. I use it almost every day.

What ever happened to Beth/Betov/Hide/Wannabee... at alt.lang.asm ?  Seems like many of the old guard have faded away.

In the shadows,
TomT

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: Old ASM programmers
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 02:43:08 AM »
Thanks, Tom! Kudos for Nasm go to the development team - especially H. Peter Anvin and the late Chuck Crayne. Since I'm not a good C programmer, the farther from the code I stay, the better!

We don't know what happened to Beth. She disappeared without saying goodbye... which is not like Beth! I'm concerned that "something happened" to her. Other's think she was a 'bot. I don't believe that... but she might have had "autotype". :)

Randy Hyde is still working on HLA... using it in his job writing code for nuclear reactors(!). (fortunately they're "safe", research reactors, and can't blow up... says so right here in the glossy brochure!) He doesn't post to the newsgroups much, any more. You can catch him on the Yahoo "aoaprogramming" group.

Haven't heard from Betov for a while, even though I occasionally post a little "Betov bait" on ala. Nothing recent from him on the RosAsm forum either. Pretty slow there, although there *is* evidence of users continuing to work on RosAsm. I think he's pretty devestated by ReactOS having "sold out" (as he sees it).

Wannabee followed Betov into oblivion. Any surprise there? :)

I miss 'em, one and all, and hope they pop back onto the newsgroups one day... Ya never know...

Jump out of the shadows and give us a shout more often, Tom!

Best,
Frank

Tom Timmermann

Re: Old ASM programmers
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 06:00:30 PM »
Thanks for your reply Frank.

I always found the "Verbal punches" amoungst the senior asm programmers somewhat amusing. Not that anybody likes a steady diet of inflammatory rhetoric, but those asm programmers were obvious a smart lot.  Always something to be learned too (good and bad).

So I appreciate your support of NASM. I learned fortran in 1977 and over the years switched from fortran ->C->asm and havent looked back. ASM is fun. Drives my wife crazy coding stuff she cant really understand,but everyone needs an out from this crazy world, right ?

I code my own hobby OS for fun, called tatOS. It builds with NASM on Linux and some of your beginners may enjoying hacking on it.  Only runs on old computers cause thats what Ive got. Its a continual work in progress and wont be done till Im 5 feet under.

http://code.google.com/p/tatos/

enjoy,
TomT