Author Topic: Basic error message help  (Read 7868 times)

Ben

Basic error message help
« on: March 21, 2009, 01:43:24 PM »
I'm starting out using nasmide and have been given 2 simple programs to create. with both of them i am receiving the same error messages when attempting to allocated bytes of space in SECTION .BSS

below is one of the programs where I receive the following error message:
"warning: uninitialised space declared in .BSS section"

The code below is just to create a simple addition of two numbers

BITS 16           ;SET CODE GENERATION TO 16 BIT MODE
ORG 0X0100        ;SET CODE START ADDRESS TO 0100H

SECTION .TEXT     ;MAIN CODE SEGMENT

MAIN:            

MOV AX,[NUM1]
    ADD AX,000FH
    MOV [NUM2],AX

MOV AX,4C00H
    INT 21H            

SECTION .DATA     ;DATA SEGMENT FOR INITIALISED DATA & CONSTRAINTS

NUM1     DW 001FH       ;RESERVE 2 BYTES OF SPACE

SECTION .BSS      ;DATA SEGMENT FOR UNINITIALISED DATA

NUM2     RESB 2         ;RESERVE 2 BYTES OF SPACE

Online Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: Basic error message help
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
Hi Ben,

We learn something new every day! I've been using Nasm a long time - lots of dos .com files. As you know, Nasm knows ".text", ".data", and ".bss" as section names. It doesn't say so in the Friendly Manual, but these names are case-sensitive! I never realized that!!! Guess I never tried 'em in upper-case! In all this time...

So change ".BSS" to ".bss" (might as well do ".text" and ".data", too - although it doesn't make as much difference), and Nasm will be happy again. Other than that, your code is fine! I had to *try* it to spot the problem.

When you say you're using "nasmide", do you mean Rob Anderton's old "nasmide"? Or http://sf.net/projects/nasmide ? If the latter, what is it? (I can't even *look* at stuff that's distributed as an .exe!)

Best,
Frank

Ben

Re: Basic error message help
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 04:26:47 PM »
Hi Frank,

Thanks very much that's put my mind at ease, didn't like to think that I was not able to do something that simple. At least it was something easy to sort!

Having a look through they seem to be the only thing that Nasm is case-sensitive with. Very strange!

As for the Ide that I am using, it is Robert Andersons NASM-IDE 1.8 , it is just what we were asked to use by my University, so as a beginner I have stuck with it.

I have to build up a portfolio of code in the next few weeks so if stuck I may call upon you again if this is ok?

Thanks,
Ben