NASM Forum > Other Discussion

NASM or YASM in the modern era (or something else)

(1/1)

decuser:
Hi all,

Longtime listener, first time caller...

I'm learning assembly on my whiz-bang MX-Linux 23-2 "Libretto" machine w/Intel i7-3770. I have dabbled, but now I'm quite serious. As it turns out, there appear to be many choices as to what assembler to use. The text I've chosen to start with "x86-64 Assembly Language Programming with Ubuntu" by Ed Jorgensen, available at http://www.egr.unlv.edu/~ed/assembly64.pdf favors yasm and ddd as the toolchain. They work on MX-Linux and that's great, but I don't want to spend a lot of time with a toolchain that I may not settle on. So, before I go too far, I figure I'll ask the experts (y'all)...

Are either NASM or YASM good choices for the assembler, here in 2024, or should I be looking elsewhere? Are either or another actively developed/maintained? What resources do you recommend for the 2024 beginner/intermediate learner?

Thx!

debs3759:
I don't know yasm, but I can tell you that nasm is constantly in development, with new instruction sets being added pretty much as soon as they are released. We have an Intel developer on the nasm dev team. The forums are not very active most of the time, but there are a couple of active Linux coders who will try to help when they can.

decuser:
Cool. So, is there another chattier hangout for nasm users?

debs3759:
As far as I know, this is it. There are mailing lists, but they are dead.

Frank Kotler:
From what little I know of Yasm, it offers the option of AT$T syntax. if that's an advantagea.
Fasm is another nice assembler. Their forum might be more acive.
I don' thonk any of them will leave yo in the dark ages.

Best,
Franl

t

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version