Author Topic: Want to have my own new GUI uing NASM assembl  (Read 9085 times)

nobody

Want to have my own new GUI uing NASM assembl
« on: December 06, 2007, 04:28:36 PM »
HI can anyone suggest me if i would like to generate some code for my own GUI module like if i woul dlike to make a OS so for that i need a new look and feel can i do it using NASM assm without taking help of any second part GUI library like window is it something i need to do using DOS video mode  please suggest.

***#$%& >>> something is really trying to come up with a  blast so let it come.

Thanks

nobody

Re: Want to have my own new GUI uing NASM assembl
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 10:04:54 AM »
I'm not sure what you mean by "DOS video mode". Mode 13h? Pretty chunky. Problem is, when we get beyond the VGA modes, the cards aren't standardized, and the manufacturers aren't too free with the information. If your OS is capable of using BIOS, look into the vesa specs.

What I'd do for a "toy OS" is put the card in a 640 x 480 mode (easy to draw characters) - probably "linear frame buffer", if I could get it - *before* switching to protected mode, using the bios. I don't know if that would fit in with your plans, though...

If you plan to write your own drivers, taking advantage of "hardware acceleration" where available and all - Whew! Big job! But it *can* be done, of course, and Nasm should be a suitable tool...

Best,
Frank

nobody

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 03:45:47 PM »
Thanks it helps. But what i am looking for is to design my own GUI library that i can use to create a Mini OS stuff
leh me put example like we have QT from Trolltech something i m not sure there??? like we have java GUI library something like that can u get me some suggestion on that so i can feel going???

nobody

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 12:12:33 AM »
> I'm not sure what you mean by "DOS video mode". Mode 13h? Pretty chunky.

320x200,8bpp,indexed ;-)

> Problem is, when we get beyond the VGA modes, the cards
> aren't standardized, and the manufacturers aren't too
> free with the information.

Very true :-(

> If your OS is capable of using BIOS, look into the vesa specs.

Indeed ... VESA is the solution. It's support is not perfect but
works acceptably on most cards. VESA 2.0 is the probably most useful
version for the beginning. Just make sure to call INT 10 from REAL
MODE only ;-) LFB can be written from PM then.

> What I'd do for a "toy OS" is put the card in a 640 x 480 mode (easy to draw characters) - probably "linear frame buffer", if I could get it - *before* switching to protected mode, using the bios.

VESA offers 640x480 LFB modes ... VGA only 640x480 with the great "planes" technology ... enjoy :-D