NASM Forum > Using NASM

How does linker know the location of the function?

<< < (2/2)

fredericopissarra:

--- Quote from: Korybut on February 16, 2021, 07:49:07 PM ---Many thanks for answers. Please correct me if I am wrong. Using some sort of PE Explorer I can look through all the functions that one can call from DLL and linker goes through this information and replaces my labels in Object file with actual offsets from PE headers in DLL.

Looking at disassembled code I've never seen usage of "LoadLibrary" and "GetProcAddress" (except 'wglGetProcAddress" but it is completely different story) is this because in majority of cases early binding was chosen?
--- End quote ---
To the first question, not exactly... take a look at this tiny example:

--- Code: ---; hello.asm for x86-64
  bits  64
  default rel

section .rodata

msg:
  db  `Hello\n`
msg_len equ $ - msg

section .text

extern __imp_GetStdHandle
  extern __imp_WriteConsoleA
  extern __imp_ExitProcess

global _start

_start:
  mov   ecx,-11   ; STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE
  call  [__imp_GetStdHandle]

mov   ecx,eax
  lea   rdx,[msg]
  mov   r8d,msg_len
  xor   r9d,r9d
  push  byte 0
  call  [__imp_WriteConsoleA]
  add   rsp,8

xor   ecx,ecx
  jmp   [__imp_ExitProcess]
--- End code ---

To compile:

--- Code: ---$ nasm -fwin64 -o hello.o hello.asm
$ x86_64-w64-mingw32-ld -s -o hello.exe hello.o -lkernel32
--- End code ---
This was compiled with mingw64 on Linux (but works with m$ linker as well with different command line - probably _start isn't the default entrypoint with link.exe).

If you Search for these 3 functions names on your executable you'll find the 3 function names as in the picture attached. That's because the loader will early bind them. But notice the symbols used in the code has the `__imp_` prefix (these are the symbols defined in the imported static library kernel32.lib (or libkernel32.a, in case of linux).

To the second question... Yes, you don't see LoadLibrary/GetProcAddress/FreeLibrary because of early binding.

And, please, notice: I don't deal with Windows since 2007.

Korybut:
I've found out that (as supposed to be) situation depends on linker. GoLink actually scans the DLL for the functions. Other linkers may use LIB files

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version