NASM Forum > Programming with NASM

Variable isn't what I expected.

(1/3) > >>

tysonprogrammer:
I a newish to assembly and nasm. Iw as reading a book on masm assembly to learn assembly and so I thought I had a good handle on addressing, guess not. Anyway I wrote this little program that is supposed add two numbers to see if I could figure it out.

--- Code: ---; add.a

bits 16 ; tell nasm how many bits we are using

segment data
    val1    db 10h
    val2    db 20h

segment code
..start:
    xor al, al                  ; zero out al
    mov al, [val1]
;    add al, [val2]

exit:
        mov ah, 4ch     ;exit
        int 21h         ;call intr

segment stack class=stack
        resb 512 ; 64 is a little to little for interrupts

--- End code ---

When I run this program through a debugger I am not seeing the value for val1, and I am so confused. I am using the Open Watcom debugger. Like to screenshot is below. Instead of 10h I am seeing CD as the value.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ag87rirnue5z7pe/Screen%20Shot%202020-09-20%20at%207.46.30%20PM.png?dl=0

I am using nasm on FreeDOS running in VirtualBOX.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Tyson

debs3759:
Try the following:

--- Code: ---bits 16

section .data                  ; I always use section in nasm, can't remember if segment is handled the same
                                      ; Data section is named .data for nasm
                                      ; In your code, presumably because of section/segment names, data is placed before the code section.
        val1    db 10h

section .text                  ; nasm calls the code section .text
org 100h                       ; needed if creating a .com binary
;..start                           ; nasm doesn't need this line for a DOS binary

mov dx,cs
        mov ds,dx               ; set data segment to be the same as code segment for .com files
                                       ; without this, the data will be loaded from the wrong area of memory
        xor al,al
        mov al,[val1]

exit:
        mov ah,4ch
        int 21h

--- End code ---

As you are not using the stack, you don't need to set it up. If you do start using it, you need to explicitly set it up. I can't remember whether the manual explains how to do this, but in most DOS .com executable, it can be the same as CS as well, then will need a cld instruction.

All this is from memory, so if it doesn't work for you I will check the basics. It should be right though, and om program exit, AL should still contain the last value placed in it, as a return code.

Frank Kotler:
Hi Tyson,
Welcome to the forum.

This is embarrassing. My memory is all shot.

"..start" is a special symbol known only to "-f obj". If that's what you're using, it won't like ''org'' as Debs suggests. You will want the stack. To do as Debs suggests:

--- Code: ---nasm -f bin myprog.asm -o myprog.com

--- End code ---
No linker required.
To print the errorlevel/exitcode:

--- Code: ---echo %errorlevel%

--- End code ---
I'm not sure about the % signs. (Told you this was embarrassing.)

I can't vouch for your debugger and I'm confused by your screenshot, I see "10" (doesn't say that it's hex, but probably is) I don't see "cd". Your code looks good to me. So I'm confused!

What I would do is do the addition. 30h is ascii code for '0' (the character, not the number 0). Print it:

--- Code: ---mov ah, 0eh
int 10h

--- End code ---
That should put "0" on your screen.

If none of that helps, get back to us and make us do it!
This is embarrassing.

Best,
Frank

avcaballero:
Hello, this should work:

--- Code: ---[org 100h]
[section .text]
  inicio:
  MOV   AH, 0Eh
  MOV   AL, 9                 ; byte you want to print
  OR    AL, 30h
  INT   10h
  RET

--- End code ---
Compile with:
>nasm -fbin Program.asm -o Program.com

debs3759:

--- Quote from: Frank Kotler on September 21, 2020, 02:38:32 AM ---I can't vouch for your debugger and I'm confused by your screenshot, I see "10" (doesn't say that it's hex, but probably is) I don't see "cd". Your code looks good to me. So I'm confused!
--- End quote ---

Biggest problem I see is that he didn't set up DS, so it's not pointing at his data segment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version