Author Topic: How to build NASM / NDISASM?  (Read 6668 times)

Offline RuudB

• Ruud's Commodore Site
How to build NASM / NDISASM?
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:03:28 PM »
Quite some time ago I wrote my own disassembler for the 8088. I expanded it to the 80286 but that job isn't finished yet. I now also need one for the 80386. I can do two things: 1) expand my disassembler again or 2) use NDISASM. But NDISASM lacks some nice features my disassembler has. One thing I could do is add these features to NDISAM.
I tried building the original sources using Openwatcom. IIRC when installing Openwatcom it asked if it coud add itself to the PATH. I refused I don't like it if every program adds itself to the path. So before starting "wmake ...." I added the root directory and binnt to the path using a BAT file. But I still get errors: it cannot find various .h files like "assert.h", to be found in ...\openwatcom\h. I added this directory to the path as well, knowing that it most probably would not help, and unfortunately I was right.

The question: what did I forget / what did I wrong / am I missing something?

I hope somebody can help me. Thank you very much in advance!
With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: How to build NASM / NDISASM?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 10:07:06 PM »
Hi Ruud,

I don't think I can help you with this. I know little of the build process and nothing of OpenWatcom. I just do "./configure" and "make install everything". The developer's list might be able to help you.

I might be able to suggest another alternative. I'm quite fond of Agner Fog's "objconv" as a disassembler. Look around agner.org for it...

Best,
Frank