Author Topic: uninstall.exe in win32 NASM(is this virus?)  (Read 12441 times)

Offline ugack11

uninstall.exe in win32 NASM(is this virus?)
« on: October 17, 2015, 11:03:33 PM »
So after I download the assembler with nasm-2.11.08-installer.exe, I get all the files required to use the assembler. Among files and folders, you'll see uninstall.exe . So, yesterday I downloaded everything to my desktop and I wanted to uninstall the assembler and redownload. So, I clicked uninstall.exe , and chunk of my files and folders went missing suddenly and never appeared back. I was really surprised. Some of the files were important to me. I did system restore and some came back, but most of the important ones didn't. Is there anyway I can restore everything fully? Has anyone experienced same problem as I did? I would appreciate anyone's advice!! Thank you!

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: uninstall.exe in win32 NASM(is this virus?)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 12:49:22 AM »
Looks like this is back! Bummer! http://forum.nasm.us/index.php?topic=1013.0

I may have created the original "installer". It was intended as a joke - give the Windows Weenies a pretty colored screen while we unzip a file. If the uninstaller is deleting unintended files, it was a pretty bad idea! I don't even remember there being an uninstaller. We don't need an installer, so if there isn't somebody currently available to fix it, it should probably be removed entirely. Sorry about that - bad joke.

Best,
Frank

Offline ben321

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:25:19 AM »
I just unzipped the zip file and ran NASM. I didn't bother with the installer version. NASM has no dependencies, so there's no need to run an installer. Installers are usually used in Windows if the program has a number of dependencies that are ActiveX DLL or OCX files that need to be registered in order for the program to run correctly. NASM has no ActiveX components or any other dependencies (at least in the Windows version, though I think the Linux version requires that a copy of C be previously installed for it to work), so there's nothing that needs to be added to the registry to get it to work in Windows.

Offline nasmUninstaller

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 03:57:54 AM »
Terrible joke indeed. Just removed ALL of my programs, some purchased. You would think if this issue was known about in 2015, Frank might have done something about it. Wow! Unbelievable.

Offline nasmUninstaller

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 04:16:25 AM »
Garbage programming. Great virus, though. Imagine being an elitist about operating systems when you can't program a proper installer and uninstaller. Just burned hundreds of my dollars with your program.

Offline nasmUninstaller

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 04:42:24 AM »
I see in your other thread that you basically admit the uninstaller deletes everything in its folder. Horrible programming already. But this combined with the fact that the installer does not install the files into their own folder... Jeez. And the smugness: "suspecting" "pilot error"... Ha ha ha. Frank. Stick to linux please. You have ruined my year with your carelessness. I hope you feel you got your sweet revenge on those ignorant windows users!

Offline nasmUninstaller

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 06:33:36 AM »
All of my Reaper files gone. Unable to be recovered. What kind of monstrosity did you so casually program?

Offline nasmUninstaller

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 06:36:56 AM »
Great time to talk crap about "Windows Weenies" when your ignorance of windows just deleted a bunch of precious files belonging to a windows user. Classy, Frank!

Offline nasmUninstaller

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2020, 06:40:24 AM »
Your responses are tone deaf, tasteless, smug, and unapologetic. Correct your mistake. This should not happen again.

Offline nasmUninstaller

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2020, 06:42:37 AM »
Given your demeanor, I'm wondering if this was an intentional troll of Windows users.