Author Topic: Hi all :)  (Read 7659 times)

Offline debs3759

• Global Moderator
    • GPUZoo
Hi all :)
« on: August 31, 2016, 03:10:13 PM »
Just thought I'd introduce myself. Some of the old timers here will remember me from when I was actively coding. I also helped out with the nasm manual. I have not done any coding in over a decade, but am just starting to get back into it. My first project will be to rewrite and update my cpuid app. At the moment it can detect any 32-bit x86 processor from 386 up to Pentium 4 and Athlon 64 (socket 9039), including some very uncommon chips. I plan to add all processors released since I stopped coding. At the same time I plan to rewrite it into multiple files (the source file is over 100 KB in size). A slightly larger ambition is to add Windows support. At the moment it is a DOS app. I will be maintaining DOS support, but will be learning enough Windows coding to have a Windows app for processors that support CPUID, as well as some others.

I'll also be looking at my FAT12 bootsector, which I will probably share with everyone in the next few days.
My graphics card database: www.gpuzoo.com

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: Hi all :)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 03:52:31 PM »
Hi Debs,

Great to hear from you again after all this time! I remember well all your help with Nasm - especially the Manual. The instruction set reference section of the Manual has been dropped, so a lot of your hard work is gone... but I still have it. I remember your FAT12 bootsector being especially well commented. I seem to recall you had a port-based floppy driver, too - not many floppy drives left, these days. I also remember much interesting discussion on news:alt.lang.asm with the legendary Beth Stone. Maybe Beth will reappear one of these days, too? Welcome, in any case!

Best,
Frank

Offline debs3759

• Global Moderator
    • GPUZoo
Re: Hi all :)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 04:49:18 PM »
Thanks Frank :)

All I had for floppy discs was a thorough, detailed page on hot to program them. I never got as far as using the info to write my own code, but might just do that to remind myself of what I am capable of :)
My graphics card database: www.gpuzoo.com