Author Topic: need help reading documentation  (Read 4957 times)

Offline isit

need help reading documentation
« on: April 16, 2016, 03:42:57 PM »
I need help with reading the following document and producing code from it. and you know finding magic numbers and writing bootloaders based on this.

http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/manuals/64-ia-32-architectures-software-developer-manual-325462.pdf

I have a C220 chipset with an nvidia 740m but you know I have no idea where to find documentation for these things, and then when I get to the documentation, its like okay I get the references but how do I design a meaninful code based on these documents..

but you know wheres the EFI documentation so I can write bootloaders

The operating systems im desiging are like the following.
one is a dedicated recording studio
one is a dedicated weather forecasting station
one is a dedicated flight/spaceflight simulator

and you know the bootloader is a  bit complex...I am trying to make it so that I no longer have to shut the computer down in order to change operating systems. but I need all of these things to be unique operating systems because of the amount of math and calculations that the processor needs to do for each one is too great for it to just be written as a bit of software.

but you know if any of you knows how to write a tutorial that says okay this reference on this page means that I can do this, yotta yotta yotta, you know let me know and write some tutorials that reference pages in the manual.

you know im sure I can write some kernels in assembly and filesystems and stuff like that. but I could probably use some help along the way.

Offline isit

Re: need help reading documentation
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 03:45:56 PM »
also need help with how to communicate with the hard disk and how do i commuincate with the graphics card and how do i communicate with my audio card in assembly.

how do i communicate with all of the different chips my computer has in assembly.

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: need help reading documentation
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »
but I need all of these things to be unique operating systems because of the amount of math and calculations that the processor needs to do for each one is too great for it to just be written as a bit of software.

This is all way over my head, but what I'd "expect" would be a reasonable amount of arithmetic applied to a very large data set. So what you want to worry about is caching. I could be wrong.

You can find a lot of information about accessing hard drives and other hardware around:
http://wiki.osdev.org/Main_Page

My advice would be to take small steps. Good luck!

Best,
Frank