Author Topic: nasm binares not run  (Read 7493 times)

Offline sergeo78

nasm binares not run
« on: June 14, 2014, 07:37:30 PM »
all the latest releases nasm binares not run on Via C3 CPU. You can fix it in you next release?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:47:09 PM by sergeo78 »

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: nasm binares not run
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 09:12:42 PM »
Oh, oh! I don't even know what a "Via C3" is, outside of what I just read on Google. Appears to be x86 compatible, so it "shouldn't" be a problem. What are the symptoms? What OS are we talking about? Have you (can you?) tried the old-fashioned "make install" approach?

I can notify the development team (if I get some more information), or you can file a bug report yourself. Sorry you had a problem with it. Thanks for the feedback!

Best,
Frank

Offline sergeo78

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:39:05 AM »
xp windows, windows 7. you change compiler msvc and assembly profile remained unchanged. line CFLAGS = / O2 / Ox / Oy / W2 has led to the emergence of SSE2 code in executable file. it is wrong. assembler is not a game, and high-level language compiler. it should work on any even old PCs.
please recompile the next release with / arch:IA32.

thanks for the reply and understanding. :)

Offline sergeo78

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »
I began 2.11.5 binaries we made ??in visual studio 2008 and  open watcom 1.9. they all work and not fail under my processor via c3. old Pentium also. it turns out that the failed  mingw gcc generates bad code that works only from the Pentium 3 and above

Offline Rob Neff

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »
It would not be feasible to generate binaries tailored for each unique processor type.  Generally, my understanding is that binaries built for x86 with GCC use the "generic" tuning option if not specified.  However, according to 3.17.15 Intel 386 and AMD x86-64 Options:
As new processors are deployed in the marketplace, the behavior of this option will change. Therefore, if you upgrade to a newer version of GCC, the code generated option will change to reflect the processors that were most common when that version of GCC was released.

Subsequently the scenario you describe would make sense in that the GCC version used to build those binaries may have "moved up" the architecture ladder.  I have not investigated in detail but this is my initial suspicion.

Note that you can build your own binary for your specific CPU by adding "-mtune=c3" to CFLAGS in the Makefile prior to compiling which should alleviate your problem.  I would also expect that you will eventually begin experiencing problems with other pre-packaged binary applications - not just nasm.

Offline sergeo78

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 05:41:48 PM »
Yes, this time managed to make his own running executable file. but this is not correct.
If the repository is the original binary, then it should work on all x 86 computers.
at least Pentium 1 class that can run Windows. now the FASM and yasm, working for 586 out of the box. Please do so for NASM releases, and the problem start to disappear. In addition to besides the via c3, there is xcore vortex86. He produced now and will be even 10 years minimum. Thanks for the insight.