Author Topic: installing nasm in windows 7 32bit ???  (Read 12534 times)

Offline new_geek

installing nasm in windows 7 32bit ???
« on: October 26, 2013, 03:56:12 AM »
Hi, I'm new to assembly programming using nasm, and would like to know more about it.

currently I'm using OS windows7 32bit, is there any way for me to be able to install nasm? so that I can learn assembly programming at ease without having to change my OS? if there is, please provide me with the steep :)

Offline Gunner

• Gunners Software
Re: installing nasm in windows 7 32bit ???
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 04:52:08 AM »
I am sorry to be blunt, but if you cannot unzip/use the installer/read the manual, then you are going to stumble with Assembly.

http://www.nasm.us/pub/nasm/releasebuilds/2.11rc1/win32/

Offline new_geek

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 02:09:56 PM »
thanks, I've downloaded the file, and installed it into my computer. but now, when I want to run it the screen (DOS-screen) is pop up and died away immediately :(

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 05:07:35 PM »
Used to be that doing "start->run->cmd" would give you a more-or-less "permanent" command prompt. Dunno if it still works. Another alternative would be to right-click on Nasm, "properties->advanced" and somewhere in there there's  way - involves a question mark as I recall - to get 'doze to pop up an edit box where you can enter a command line to Nasm. Nasm is command line driven - before your "DOS screen" disappears, it's telling you "no input file specified". You probably want to work from a command prompt, since after running Nasm you're probably going to want to run a linker...

Best,
Frank

Offline new_geek

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 02:29:11 PM »
Hi Frank, is that mean by the question mark? A window pop up a question to run it in administrator mode?

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
What I had in mind was a pop up window asking for a command line to give Nasm. I don't know if you want to run in administrator mode or not. It was a long time ago I last ran Windows (win98... and then I mostly used DOS).

I prefer to work from a command line. Some people like an "IDE" - an Integrated Development Environment - essentially an editor with a button you can click to run Nasm. Used to be that Ketilo's "RadAsm" was a popular one. I think you can convince "VS" to run Nasm, too (there may be a "rules" file in the package you downloaded). This will require some "installation" to get it all working together...

I think you're better off to get a "DOS screen" (not DOS, but it looks the same) to hang around and work from that, but that may just be my own preference. What tools are you used to using? Don't give up!

Best,
Frank

Offline new_geek

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »
Well, I ended up installing uBuntu OS on my memory stick ;D the problem has been solved now :D  so I just have to change the boot drive to my stick and that's it.

thank you all