Author Topic: What OS do you use?  (Read 9911 times)

Offline iVision

What OS do you use?
« on: July 25, 2013, 02:52:35 PM »
Hello,
Since NASM is a cross-platform assembler, people use different OS'es (I know at least Frank doesn't use Windows :P)
Soo what do you use, some specs would be nice too! Also what would you recommend for a linux distro, I've used ubuntu once, but what is the 'best'? (I want to program in a linux environment too! (And mac for my iPhone, I only need a 8GB usb :P)

I have:
Processor: Intel i7 3610QM (2.3GHz upto 3.3Ghz)
Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GT 630M (2GB)
Memory: 8 GB DDR3

Regards

Offline dogman

Re: What OS do you use?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 02:57:57 PM »
There is no best Linux or there wouldn't be 500 Linux distros. You have to try a few and see what you like. Some choices are between distros that install with everything (Ubuntu), distros where you compile almost everything from source (Gentoo), distros where you compile everything from source (Linux From Scratch), distros with package management and application repositories (Ubuntu, Debian), distros with a base and then compile your own with no package repo (Slackware). It's kind of hard to describe in one paragraph. I guess you are only talking about stuff that will run on Intel since that's what nasm is for. But there are other distros and other hardware platforms.

You have a nice setup with plenty of ram so the easiest thing is to install VirtualBox and then grab a few Linux distros and try them out. Check out distrowatch.com for a lot of helpful info and links to many distros. Then there is UNIX and the freely available OS that run on Intel include Solaris, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and NetBSD. I'm pretty sure nasm will work on all those too.

I use Slackware and have for about 10 years. There's no better Linux in my opinion. Plenty of people agree with me. But plenty of people also disagree with me :P
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:04:09 PM by dogman »

Offline iVision

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 03:03:58 PM »
There is no best or there wouldn't be 500 Linux distros. You have to try a few and see what you like. Some choices are between distros that install with everything (Ubuntu), distros where you compile almost everything from source (Gentoo), distros where you compile everything from source, distros with package management and application repositories (Ubuntu, Debian), distros with a base and then compile your own with no package repo (Slackware). It's kind of hard to describe in one paragraph. I guess you are only talking about stuff that will run on Intel since that's what nasm is for. But there are other distros and other hardware platforms.

You have a nice setup with plenty of ram so the easiest thing is to install VirtualBox and then grab a few Linux distros and try them out.

Okay its a user choice, as I expected, I guess I tripleboot Windows 8, BackBox* and OS X (if I can find that usb.. xd) going to be fun to install haha.
*BackBox is an ubunutu based linux distribution, which is enhanced for security testing. With a default sexy blue/gray look!

Soo what is your setup? :)

Offline dogman

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
I don't like Intel hardware or Linux but since everything runs on it I do use it. But once you get off Intel hardware I like OpenBSD and Solaris. They also have Intel versions of course, but they also support good hardware. Let the flames begin!  ;D

Offline Rob Neff

• Forum Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »
Dual-boot:
    Windows 7 x64 when playing games available only on Windows
    Debian x64 for everything else

My box:
Asus Mobo
AMD 965 Phenom II X4 3.4GHz CPU
MSI Twin Frozr GTX 560Ti 1GB
16GB G.Skill RAM
Antec 750W PSU
Antec 302 case

I also use VirtualBox in Windows to experiment with various Linux distros.  I mostly code for RedHat workstations and servers at work and have normally used the Fedora distro as my home desktop but it always seemed to break on me.  I'm waaay past the point of being excited about manually tweaking config files and such after updates.  I'm at the point in my life that I just want to install it and forget it.  I've tried various distros since then and am currently use Debian.  Nice and stable, not bleeding edge, and that suits me just fine.  I also like the Linux Mint Debian Edition using Mate Desktop which I always have up and running in VirtualBox when I boot Windows.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:57:27 AM by Rob Neff »