Author Topic: totaly new  (Read 5950 times)

nobody

totaly new
« on: October 23, 2005, 07:15:26 PM »
sorry i feel stupid but i can't figure out how to use this.
im writing in notepad and trying to click and drag to the nasmw.exe this should work right. well any way i also tryed to use cmd.com prompt and no luck there either. any help would be appreciated cuz i gotta be doing something stupid wrong.

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: totaly new
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 10:50:05 AM »
Well, I don't think "dragging" files to nasmw.exe is going to work - never tried it, actually. You'll need to get to a command prompt, and type in a line appropriate to the output format you want - "nasmw -f win32 myfile.asm", or "nasmw -f obj myfile.asm", or "nasmw -f bin -o myfile.com myfile.asm", most likely (maybe "nasmw -f coff myfile.asm", if you're that nobody :)

Then, unless it's a .com file, you'll need to link the .obj file Nasm produces.

If you want to do all that as a "pointee-clickee" operation, look into NaGoA - a "rad IDE" for Nasm.

When you tell us it "doesn't work", it's helpful if you tell us  exactly what you did, maybe what you expected to happen, and what actually *did* happen. "invalid combination of opcades and operands" is different from "smoke came out of the keyboard" :)

One last thought - notepad sometimes has ideas of its own about what name the file should have - you tell it "myfile.asm", and it saves it as "myfile.asm.txt", or some damn thing. Make sure that isn't happening (or tell Nasm the right name)! I think there's a way to make it quit that - dunno, I always used "edit.com" :)

Best,
Frank