Author Topic: help with nasm installation through source code  (Read 9545 times)

Offline puttyios

help with nasm installation through source code
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:57:32 AM »
I have encounted a problem with nasm installation on unbuntu-linux  OS;

my operation  is here:   

1.  tar  -xzvf nasm2.10.tar.gz
2.  cd nasm2.10
3.  ./configure
4.make   ,at this step, the stdout says:
 insnsa.c:11485: fatal error: error writing to /tmp/ccjgMCbw.s: ???????
compilation terminated.

what is the reason?

Offline Keith Kanios

• Personal Homepage
Re: help with nasm installation through source code
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 04:07:13 AM »
Is /tmp/ full?

Offline puttyios

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:02:45 PM »
oh,yeah! I  use the 'dh'  command ,and it tell me the /dev/sda1  is no space avalible

but  I   have  not  store  so many  files that  occupy so much  space, so  how can I  do for this ?

Best Regards! 

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 01:01:14 PM »
I'm not familiar with "dh" (Diffie-Hellman? crypto?). I use "df" - is that what you mean? In any case, if you haven't got space on the drive... that's the problem. Using the "-a" switch to "ls" will show hidden files - perhaps that'll help you figure out what's going on? I think you'll need to either clear up some space on /dev/sda1, or use a different drive for compilation. (there may be a way to put "/tmp" someplace else, but I don't know it)

Best,
Frank

Offline billium

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 08:24:40 PM »
I'm going for he means du -h

:)

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:17:54 PM »
Yeah, probably. In any case, if there's no room in /tmp, that accounts for the error message. Not strictly a "Nasm problem".

There was a guy on this, or the previous SF forum, complained that he'd spent three days (or some long time) of frustration trying to install Nasm on Ubuntu. Someone clued us in to the "magic incantation"...
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get nasm install
(or similar - I probably don't remember it quite right) Done in about 15 seconds and you were ready to assemble! That's not "from source code" of course.

Best,
Frank

Offline puttyios

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
thank  you very nuch!

But I don't know how to clear sda1 driver ,so I  need  your help!

Best Regards!

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 04:34:55 AM »
Without knowing more about your system (and probably not then) I really don't know what the problem is. If you had a lot of unneeded files on /dev/sda1 you could delete some of them, but you say you don't. Looking at my /tmp directory, it's full of files I don't recognize, don't need (AFAIK), and don't know where they came from. I'd delete everything in sight there... if it were my system...

How big a partition is /dev/sda1? Is /dev/sda2 a "swap" partition? Or is there more room there for files? Is there a /dev/sdb? Does "fdisk /dev/sda" - the "p" command - indicate a "reasonable" partition? If you've got a serious problem in this area, reinstalling Ubuntu from scratch might be the easiest/safest thing. Pay attention to how big your partitions are!

The only time I had trouble with gcc was a long time ago, on an even smaller machine than this one, building HLA. It produced a fatal "out of memory" error. I was able to get it to compile by removing "-O2" from the flags in the makefile. This produces rather "dumb" code... but I didn't notice any difference from a downloaded precompiled version (that's HLA... :) ). You shouldn't need to do this, and it might not help anyway - different problem.

I don't know much about gcc - I use it as little as possible. I took a quick(!) look through "man gcc" and didn't see any obvious way to tell gcc to use something other than /tmp for its temporary files. There may be one... gcc has options for everything! This would require another drive/partition that had some space on it, anyway...

I'd start by deleting files. I wouldn't remove /tmp itself, and I'd leave /tmp/unix/x0 alone (Xwindows depends on it). Everything else in /tmp can probably go... Don't sue me if this trashes your system! You've got everything that would make you cry to lose backed up anyway, right? Backup more, and delete it until you can get Nasm to compile!

There's an underlying "reason" why you haven't got any room on /dev/sda1, and you probably should figure out what it is, or it'll cause you some different problem in the future. That probably isn't something we can help you with, without being able to sit down at your computer. Got any friends "in real life" who know anything about Ubuntu... or Linux... or any Unix?

Courage! It's "supposed to work"!

Best,
Frank

Offline puttyios

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 12:40:16 AM »
Thanks!
Best Regards!