Author Topic: What flavor of Linux do you recommend for 64 bit coding?  (Read 34585 times)

Offline MJaoune

Re: What flavor of Linux do you recommend for 64 bit coding?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »
Thanks.  I'm sure that I will and that any such help will be acknowledged with a special thanks in the shell "credits."

I've been familiarizing myself with gcc on Slackware and tonight, I'll install NASM from the command line.   ;D  <-- grasshopper

BTW:  Get the champagne ready.  I think I just solved the old sine problem in way that makes it a very useful algorithm.  ;D <--  I'm soooo stoked right now.

I have never drank such things and never will ;). Anyway, it seems like you like Slackware? When you think you are ready, give it a go :D ! It is not bad to use more than one programming language, since this will make it more portable.

Best,
MJaoune

Offline Eccentro

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 02:08:52 PM »
Champagne's not for me either.  That was just allegorical.  I am super close to the solution, though. ;D

And, yeppers - I will definitely end up using a combination of languages and tools.  I'm grateful for those threads illustrating how to use C and NASM together.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:37:43 PM by Eccentro »

Offline MJaoune

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 05:11:07 PM »
Champagne's not for me either.  That was just allegorical.  I am super close to the solution, though. ;D

LOL! :D

And, yeppers - I will definitely end up using a combination of languages and tools.  I'm grateful for those threads illustrating how to use C and NASM together.

Yes I agree with you, if you want more information, you can get PCASM pdf book at http://www.drpaulcarter.com/pcasm/ which was created by a Doctor who studied computer science, he included NASM as the main assembler in this book.

Just a quick note for your compilation:
-DJGPP is for compiling and linking to create a DOS file.
-MingW is for compiling and linking to create Windows Executables (.exe)
-Cygwin is like MingW
-Linux GCC is for compiling and linking to create a Linux file.

Just to help you in compiling.

Edit: Inappropriate content removed by forum moderation.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:31:28 PM by Keith Kanios »

Offline Eccentro

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 07:29:38 PM »
That all looks like good advice.  Thanks.

When you say don't use MS, do you mean don't publish a product made with a MS product or do you mean don't even agree to the EULA?

I just downloaded PCASM.  I'll check it out tonight.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:38:15 PM by Eccentro »

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 08:38:04 PM »
The "don't use MS" is merely Mahmoud's opinion. I happen to agree with him, but it's just a "matter of opinion". Some people apparently think that their compilers are "better".

If you're planning to "publish a product", the EULA may be relevant. I understand they're not all the same. Some of 'em allow using tools for "drivers and apps for Windows, among other things" Some, with the "free" versions, leave out the "among other things" and are legal "for Windows" only... so I understand.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. If it's an issue for you, check it out yourself! "Don't use MS" is not a "rule" with Nasm or this forum, it's merely a suggestion - a pretty good one, IMO. YMMV.

Best,
Frank

Offline Eccentro

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 05:25:35 AM »
I hear ya.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 11:18:19 AM by Eccentro »

Offline Bryant Keller

• Forum Moderator
    • About Bryant Keller
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 12:47:58 AM »
When I'm programming on a windows system, I like Pelles C. It's a really good C compiler (no C++ support) that has an awesome development environment and really nice back-end assembler. It's also a really good substitute for Windows Mobile Device programming if you don't want to use MSVC.

About Bryant Keller
bkeller@about.me

Offline MJaoune

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »
When I'm programming on a windows system, I like Pelles C. It's a really good C compiler (no C++ support) that has an awesome development environment and really nice back-end assembler. It's also a really good substitute for Windows Mobile Device programming if you don't want to use MSVC.

Yes, I agree with Bryant on this one. Pelles C is a great IDE and compiler, I used it to create The Netwide Linker for Windows (But on Linux I used a normal Text Editor (VIM and EMACS) and GCC Linux compiler). But I think that some C++ libraries work with Pelle's C (Last time I tried), but ofcourse iostream might not work.

Best,
Mahmoud

Edit: Link to The Netwide Linker removed due to licensing issues.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:45:10 PM by Keith Kanios »

Offline Eccentro

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2011, 03:33:16 AM »
 8) Pelles C Thanks.  I just downloaded both the 32b and the 64b versions.  It's nice to have tools.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 04:13:36 AM by Eccentro »