Author Topic: Now working for AMD  (Read 7283 times)

Offline Kryptos

Now working for AMD
« on: April 21, 2011, 03:56:36 PM »
Can anyone recommend what they would consider are the best assembly coding references for AMD-64 assembly code?
I worked for SUN Microsystems for 14 years doing SPARC assembly, and now want to get up to speed as quickly as possible on AMD assembly code. (Since I finally got hired back into an engineering job after a 2 year haitus during the recession)

Also, I am interested in any sample code snippets to do any of the following:
1) Print contents of registers out in hex.
2) Assembly code making use of 64bit/128bit media instructions, and/or x87 floating point instructions

Once I have something I can run with, I tend to code out a demonstration piece of code for every posible instruction, and I'd be happy to share anything I come across.

Thanks in advance,
Thorne Kontos

Offline Keith Kanios

• Personal Homepage
Re: Now working for AMD
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »

Offline JoeCoder

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 01:03:43 PM »
Can anyone recommend what they would consider are the best assembly coding references for AMD-64 assembly code?
I worked for SUN Microsystems for 14 years doing SPARC assembly, and now want to get up to speed as quickly as possible on AMD assembly code. (Since I finally got hired back into an engineering job after a 2 year haitus during the recession)

Hi, I have a similar problem. Can you tell me what I should be reading to learn Sparc assembly? I have Solaris Sparc Assembly programming guide and one or two generic books. Haven't found anything targeting experienced assembly coders coming from a different environment.

Is Solaris Studio and its tools the best idea for writing code on Solaris Sparc and is there anything else I should get. Thanks.

Oh from what I have seen of the x86 "architecture" (damn you, Intel!) you will be ripping your hair out coding on x86 after already knowing Sparc (or almost any other platform). Oh well at least you have a job. Not everybody does these days.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:40:57 PM by JoeCoder »
If you can't code it in assembly, it can't be coded!

Offline JoeCoder

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 05:08:15 PM »
 :D things that go "bump" in the night  :P

Did the poor guy ever come back? I hope he hasn't done himself in after going over the x86 doc  ;D
Come on buddy, it's not that bad! At least you're getting paid to code!

Hoping for some good advice on Sparc before you forget all you know and go over to the darkside.  :'(
If you can't code it in assembly, it can't be coded!