Author Topic: osx x86-64 macho  (Read 9498 times)

nobody

osx x86-64 macho
« on: June 02, 2007, 11:32:28 PM »
Hi hi!

I just downloaded and compiled the latest version of nasm (NASM version 0.99.01 compiled on Jun  2 2007) and I'm trying to get started with 64 bit asm.

If I try http://www.vikaskumar.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sample_Hello_World I get the error:
asm64.asm:7: panic: invalid section name i0

I've tried a couple of things, but I'm lost as to what the problem is. I've figured out that when i do the macho format it gives this error, but if I do the elf64 format it doesn't complain. The problem is I'm on osx and elf isn't supported as far as I know. How do I get macho to like me more? I know x86 asm enough, but 64 bit I have never worked with before. It shouldn't be to hard, but it is still a new beast. Because of this any help would be wonderful!

Thank you,
bunny

nobody

Re: osx x86-64 macho
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 12:29:11 AM »
I just realized that if I try to compile the hello world x86 asm program I had used in the past gives the same error now when it worked fine on the older version of nasm. Did something go wrong during the install?

~bunny

nobody

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 01:06:43 AM »
Hi Bunny,

I'm cc'ing this to the nasm-devel list... 'cause I'm afraid youve discovered a bug. We don't seem to have a formal testfile for macho, but I'm seeing that message on "hw.asm"... which wouldn't *work* on macho, but should assemble (does with 0.98.40 from Apple). I'm afraid we've broken macho. :(

I'm not sure it'd work for ya anyway... does OSX have 64-bit support? Do Macs have 64-bit chips? Maybe...but Nasm's "-f macho" doesn't have 64-bit support... (does it???). In any case... I'm afraid you're going to have to wait for 0.99.02 or 3 or ...

Thanks for the feedback!

Best,
Frank

nobody

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 03:47:40 AM »
dang it!
lol my luck

from wikipedia:
Apple Computer has indicated that Mac OS X v10.5 will support 64-bit applications on its 64-bit Intel-based machines as well as on 64-bit PowerPC machines. Mac OS X v10.4.7 and higher support 64-bit command-line tools when run on 64-bit Intel-based machines, just as version 10.4 and higher support them on 64-bit PowerPC machines.

I'm on 10.4.8 right now.

lol, don't tell me you guys forgot about os x 64 bit? How terrible!

I'll try version 0.99.00 and see if it is different. If it is then I will write another comment on this thread.

~bunny