Author Topic: Sine wave generator on Parallelport  (Read 9159 times)

nobody

Sine wave generator on Parallelport
« on: March 08, 2009, 05:16:12 AM »
Hi,
Does anybody know how to transfer the values of a sinetable (put in with "DB") to the peripherial
(parallel port) in Assembler?!

Thanks a lot for helping!
hb1_4@yahoo.de

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: Sine wave generator on Parallelport
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 04:45:24 PM »
Someone must, yes. :)

I suppose "out"... might be a good application for "outsb"... Port number in dx...

Do you know how to put *anything* to the parallel port? I *think* it involves "spinning" on a status port until not-busy, putting your byte on a data port, and "strobing" a port to say a byte is ready. Repeat until done. There may be more to it than that...

Ralf Brown's "ports.lst" (part of the famous Interrupts List) has some information about what port does what. Might be enough to get you going, but it's fairly cryptic, IIRC.

I once tried to "control" a webcam (I'd have been satisfied to make the LED blink) connected to a parallel port - no success whatsoever! But I had no idea what I was doing. You apparently know that your device wants to see a sine wave, at least! :)

If you expect a printer to print a sine wave, you'll need to tell the printer what's coming... but it doesn't sound like that's what you have in mind...

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Best,
Frank