NASM Forum > Other Discussion

the truth about stuff

(1/2) > >>

roboticmehdi:
If a programming language is written using programming language, then how was the first programming language written ?
And, how assemblers are written, using what ?

Frank Kotler:
Well... Nasm is written in C. Not all of the C is "hand written", some of it's generated using Perl.

The first assembler was presumably "written" using front-panel switches. Probably jacks and cables before that. I understand that the first programming tool wanted was a linker. Programmers didn't mind entering their code a bit at a time, but they didn't want to re-do it every time, so they wanted something to relocate pieces of code so they could be reused. Before an assembler will do you much good, you need an editor. Everything in its turn... Can't have been easy!

All before my time. I'm old enough (not really), but I didn't get into computers until late in life...

Best,
Frank

roboticmehdi:
Assembler is a lower level language than C. How come NASM is written in C ?? No way i can understand that   :-\   Note: when i mean "written" i mean "compiled using...". It seems to me like a paradox. Programs are created using compilers, which are also programs. So how is that the first compiler was created?  :-\

Frank Kotler:
I can explain it to ya, but I can't understand it for ya!

Best,
Frank

Keith Kanios:

--- Quote from: roboticmehdi via email ---The following post, "Re: the truth about stuff" by Frank Kotler has been reported by roboticmehdi on a board you moderate:

http://forum.nasm.us/index.php?topic=1046.msg3824#msg3824

The reporter has made the following comment:
abusive and wrongly posted message, i ask question he replies whatever comes to his balls

Regards,
The NASM - The Netwide Assembler Team.

--- End quote ---

Frank is one of the most accommodating people I've ever known when it comes to helping people understand programming basics. He has spent countless hours helping people who, for all intents and purposes, are simply too lazy to RTFM, STFW or give any sort of due diligence to the learning process -- even those who obviously post from a university network in an attempt to find quick answers -- involving minimal effort on their behalf.

Frank's response of "I can explain it to ya, but I can't understand it for ya!" is dead on and not abusive in the least. He is simply trying to convey that you need to dig further to understand the fundamentals of which you are trying to build these mental models on top of.

A simple Google Search for "first programming language" would have revealed a myriad of information regarding this topic.

Your abuse report is an unwarranted and ungrateful response. A more appropriate response would have been "OK, I will read further and come back with more questions if I have them." or even simply "I still don't understand.", instead of lashing out at the person who is helping you.

Now that I've made myself abundantly clear, and the fact that I am willing to dismiss your reaction as a misunderstanding due to language/cultural differences, you have three options:

1.) Apologize to Frank as a reply to this thread, which will allow you to continue participating here... no harm, no foul.
2.) Leave quietly, perhaps coming back later to execute option 1 when you realize how impatient you were.
3.) Become belligerent about the situation and get banned.

Your choice.

This topic will be locked, if you do not respond within 3 days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version