Author Topic: nasm for solaris 10 x86  (Read 9335 times)

nobody

nasm for solaris 10 x86
« on: October 28, 2005, 11:46:57 AM »
Where can i get nasm for solaris 10 x86?

Offline Frank Kotler

• NASM Developer
Re: nasm for solaris 10 x86
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 12:59:32 PM »
Good question! We don't provide an executable for Solaris, unless the Linux one would run on it, which I doubt(???).

I suspect your best bet would be to download the source and compile it yourself. If "./configure" doesn't work(???), the Makefiles/Makefile.unx might work(???) - might need some "tweaking"(???).

I really don't know much about Solaris. I understand it's not "freeware", but that a "personal" license can be purchased for a few bucks. True? Does Solaris call the C compiler "gcc"? (probably not??? - would need to be changed in Makefile) Does Solaris call the linker "ld"? (likewise). "perl" would be called "perl", I assume - you'd need that for a "full" build, but can get along without it, I think...

Once we've got Nasm built, what to assemble? Nasm will produce linkable object files for "aout", aoutb", and "elf" - I'm not sure which Solaris would want. Does Solaris use "int 80h"? Linux and BSD both use "int 80h", but Linux puts the parameters in registers, and BSD pushes 'em... and then does a "call" to "int 80h"/"ret" - the "return address" isn't used, I understand, so you can use a "dummy" value, but something has to be on the stack below the parameters. Calling libc should eliminate any question there, if you wanna do it that way...

Any information you can provide would be welcome - what, if any, problems you run into building Nasm - maybe a sample "hello world" that works... or any problems you run into doing that... I'm sure there are people running Nasm on Solaris - maybe someone else can provide more information...

Best,
Frank

nobody

Re: nasm for solaris 10 x86
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 01:10:47 PM »
I'am new on Solaris and I don't know if it use the int 80h.

But I know that under Solaris there is gcc and ld but I don't now if they work as the same as Windows or Linux.

I know also that the default assembler is gas but I don't now how it work.

However thanks fer the reply.