Author Topic: Does NASM work on Windows 8.1?  (Read 7149 times)

Offline SeanTharpe

Does NASM work on Windows 8.1?
« on: October 25, 2014, 10:00:07 PM »
Hi,

This is my first thread and also first visit here. I was just wondering if NASM will work as a good assembly language compiler for Windows 8.1 (x64 bit only) ? I tried to use FASM and it appeared that I had a 32 bit only version. I am just wondering if this would work on my machine?

A side question as well: Also is there a mobile version of NASM for android as well?

I really want to get into Assembly Language to get as close to machine language as I can get. I believe it will make me a better programmer. I have a little bit of experience in c++ but nothing major. I wouldn't call myself an intermediate in c++ or anything, but I would really like it if I could get some guidance somehow and the best advice that some people could give for newcomers like myself.  :D

Thank you all so much,

Sean Tharpe

Offline stressful

• CPU2.0
Re: Does NASM work on Windows 8.1?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 05:50:07 PM »
Welcome to NASM.

NASM works on Windows 8.1 and both in 32-bit and 64-bit. NASM supports almost all major x86 platforms.

For Android? Maybe what you meant was ARM processor support? ARM is not an x86 platform.

You should start testing your first "hello world" right away. Download and deploy the assembler and the documentation.

Like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netwide_Assembler